Daily Life With Levi

Months had passed by since Lorna had first met Levi, it wasn't that bad living with him after all. But she did notice that he had a few peculiar habits, they were quite unbearable at times. He held his teacup in a strange manner, he cleaned his home constantly and he took three minute showers twice a day. Lorna hadn't really approached him and asked about his odd ways yet, he may end up beating her again or telling her to mind her own business. So she kept her distance from him and just helped him around the house with the housekeeping, he even put her in charge of cooking meals for him.

Lorna wasn't the worlds greatest cook, but she did learn a few recipes from her Mother. She could make her own bread and a hearty vegetable stew, her specialty was fruit porridge though with a handful of raisins. She had prepared breakfast over an hour ago for Levi, but it didn't go to plan. Her locket must have fallen into his bowl of fruity porridge, he wasn't amused about it and he told her that her food hygiene skills were equal to a toddler. 

Lorna had to swap bowls with him in the end, but he gave her a scowl and ate his breakfast in silence. But for now she was getting on with her daily chores, she had to clean the kitchen and sweep the entire house before she turned in for the night. Sighing to herself while she took a small cooking pot full of boiling water from the stone fireplace's hook Lorna walked over to the sink, she poured half of the hot water into it and poured the rest of the hot water into a wooden bucket. She placed the cooking pot in the sink and picked the broom up from the floor, she felt exhausted. She began to sweep the kitchen while she sang quietly to herself, but her singing was interrupted by Levi entering the room. He glanced at Lorna while he put his knife into his leg holster, she swept the dust towards the main front door of the house and opened the door wide. She swept the dust through the doorway and stepped outside of the house, that's if you could call The Underground City outside. It was just stone and rock, no fresh air or sunlight. She had never really experienced the Upper World, her parents use to tell her about the blue sky and the vast forests leading towards the mountains. She use to envy their stories when they told her about how they use to play in streams and climbing trees in their childhood, she wished she could experience things like that someday. 

Lorna swept the rest of the dust down the steps while she daydreamed, but her thoughts were soon interrupted by Levi saying her name. She turned around to face him while she blew some of her fringe away from my eyes, it seemed like Levi was ready to go out for the evening.

" I'm going out." Levi said. 

" Where are you going?" Lorna asked.

" I've got some business to attend to at the local tavern." Levi replied. his speaking tone was serious. " Bolt the door when you've scrubbed the steps, I'll be using the secret entrance to gain access to the house tonight. Make sure the trapdoor in the pantry is open before you retire for the night, do you understand?"

" Yes sir, but can I ask which tavern are you going to?" Lorna asked while she leaned on the broom's handle. " Just in case one of your unwelcome associates decides to turn up on the doorstep again looking for you, I don't fancy getting a thick lip again."

" I don't seem to remember how my business concerns you, but if the situation arises and someone does come looking for me then tell them I'll be back by the morning." Levi replied as he began to walk down the stone steps of the house. " Continue with your chores, I want the kitchen and the rest of my house to be immaculate by the time I return home!"

" Yes sir!" Lorna sighed.

****************

Later that day.

The hours had passed since Levi had left the house, Lorna did what he asked of her though. She had swept the whole house from top to bottom, the stone steps had been scrubbed and she had left him some supper on the table. She had left him some bread and cheese for his supper, she had even changed his bed's blankets in his bedroom. He always slept in his arm chair, but she wanted to make sure he was pleased with her cleaning skills. Since all of the chores were now complete Lorna had decided to get changed into her nightwear, she wanted to go  through her belongings to see what she could sell to the local merchants for money. Half of the stuff in the crate wasn't even hers, so it was quite pointless holding onto them when she could get a pretty price for them and start saving some money to help her get to the upper world. She could get a few gold coins for the old Landlord's golden shaving set, but she wouldn't sell anything out of her Mother's jewellery box since it had sentimental value. She sat down on the floor next to the bed and played with her Mother's wedding ring, she had never really seen her Mother wearing it. 

Lorna slipped her Mother's wedding ring onto her marriage finger, she admired it for a moment while she held her hand in front of the lit candle on the bedside cabinet, she laughed slightly to herself because it felt strange. She wasn't use to wearing rings on her fingers like some of the rich lady merchants that use to visit her old home, they use to flaunt their rings around to show others how rich they were to the common folk. She frowned though when it came to removing her Mother's ring from her finger, it was stuck.

" Darn it!" Lorna said. 

Lorna sucked at her finger and tried to pull the ring from her finger with her teeth, but it wouldn't budge. She looked over at the bedroom's open doorway when she felt a cool draft, she quickly put her hand with the ring on it behind her back when she saw Levi watching her from the doorway. She gave him a smile while she got to her feet, she kicked a few of her belongings underneath her bed and then invited him into her room. But Levi declined her request and continued to stare at her, he was acting strange. 

" Good evening Levi, is there a problem?" Lorna asked, she took a few step towards the doorway. " Do you need anything? Was supper okay? If not I can make you something else..."

" No." Levi replied. 

" Then what are doing?" Lorna asked. " Why are you watching me? Did I forget to clean something? I swear I did everything you asked!" 

" I need you to come downstairs and serve some supper to my guest." Levi replied. " Be quick girl and get changed into something more decent, you should never keep a guest waiting!"

" But it's your guest, why do I have to look after your guest when I'm getting ready to go to bed?" Lorna asked while she crossed her arms. " There's more bread and cheese in the kitchen, if you check the pantry there should be some apples left from yesterday."

" Lorna, shut up and do as I ask!" Levi replied with a scowl. " Disobedient woman!"

" Fine, but if your get any late night guest again you're on your own!" Lorna sighed. 

Lorna grabbed her waist jacket from the end of the bed and put it on while she asked Levi the name of his guest, but when she turned around he had already gone. She fastened up the buttons on her waist jacket as she walked out of her bedroom, she had no idea who the guest was. It could be anyone from The Underground City, Levi knew many people down here. She tied her hair up and hurried downstairs to the kitchen, the guest would have to eat anything she could find. She stopped at the doorway that led into the kitchen, she quickly peeked her head around the door frame at the guest. Levi was sitting at the table with a man, he was speaking to him while he drank his tea in his strange manner. The man with him had light brown coloured hair, he looked a lot taller than Levi and heavier built. She watched the guest take a swig of his bottle of wine, he looked drunk. She took a deep breath and hurried into the kitchen, she had no idea what she was about to walk into.