Leaving An Old Life Behind

Lorna hurried down the secret passage until she reached the exit, it brought her to the back alleyway of the house. She had to crawl through a medium sized opening into the alleyway, it wasn't the most pleasant of experiences because it was dirty and full of spiders. She looked both ways down the alleyway before she left it, she would have to be careful in case she was spotted by whoever was in the house. She hurried out of the alleyway and made her way through several streets until she got to the back entrance of local tavern Levi had instructed her to go to not so long ago, she thought it was for the best if she took the long way round in case anyone was watching the house still. She had to knock three times on the back door of the tavern before it was opened, she was greeted by the tarven's owners Richard and Kathleen. They were both curious about why she was there, she explained to them the reason why she was here. She also told them about what had just happened at Levi's house, but news travelled fast in the city. 

" I'm not sure what is going on though, Levi told me to come here and then before I knew it someone was kicking the door of it's hinges!" Lorna said while she looked both ways down the alleyway. " Can you help me?"

" We know Lorna, it was the Military Police that kicked the door down at Levi's house. " Richard replied, he crossed his arms. " We saw it all from our tavern, I'm not sure what trouble Levi as gotten himself into this time. God forbidden it's nothing too serious, but you are most welcome here. I would advice you to stay low for the next few days just in case they know your face."

" I see, but are you planning to help me or turn me into the Military Police?" Lorna asked, her grip tightened around the rucksack's bag strap as she looked up at Richard. " My trust levels for people are low right now, it's all very frightening and confusing..."

" Of course we're planning to help you, don't you worry about a thing." Kathleen replied as she stepped through the doorway and then put her arm around Lorna. " We can keep you safe, Levi arrange everything with us."

" But how did he know what would happen?" Lorna asked. 

" We're not sure, but I believe that it's a matter we should discuss inside my home." Richard replied with a kind smile. " But come on in before you're seen young lass, we'll take good care of you here!"

" Thank you." Lorna said. 

Lorna was led through the doorway by Kathleen while she told her make herself at home, she then told her she would get her something warm to drinking after she had unpacked her belonging in the room she would be staying in. She thanked them both for their kindness and told them she would help out around the tavern while she stayed with them. Richard soon took her for a tour around his tavern and showed her where everything was kept, he ran a very organized tavern. 

" Your tarven reminds me of the tarven my parents use to run." Lorna said.

" Oh right, The Red Rat." Richard said.

" Yeah, how did you know about that?" Lorna asked. 

" Levi told us everything about you, but I knew the Landlord of that old tarven." Richard replied, he rested his hand on her shoulder. " Very nasty business that happened to him, but that's what happens when you mix with the underbelly of The Underground City."

" Did you know my parents?" Lorna asked.

" Sadly no, but let me show you the rest of my tarven." Richard replied. 

Lorna was led around the tarven, it was a lot like the old tavern she use to live in when she was a child. It was quite nice with a homely feeling to it, a roaring fireplace and curtains hanging over the windows. She already knew the bar area well enough because she had been here a few times with Furlan and Levi, they had used the tavern many times over the years to arrange jobs with merchants. Levi and the Landlord were business associates, they kept each others businesses a float over the years, they had a mutual understanding. After Richard had shown Lorna around the tavern he took her to the room she would be staying in while she stayed with them, he then offered her a job has a barmaid at his tavern. He said he could do with the help since his last barmaid disappeared without a trance three days ago, she accepted his offer and told him she would start right away after she had unpack her belongings. But he told her to settle into her room first, he said she could start her first shift in a few days time after all of this Military Police business had settled down.