comeback

It hurts. Both his ankle and his head. Jungkook sat on the bleacher outside the field, looking down towards the ground, as the manager of the team bandaged his ankle up.

This was probably the worst time for him to get injured. The game was at peak. It was almost the end of the first half. He was going to score the winning points. But, suddenly he felt a force pushing him to the ground and before he could realise what was happening, a stinging pain took over his left leg. His whole ankle to be precise.

Jungkook remembered his team and his coach surrounding him as he tried to get up, but failed miserably. There was no other option except to substitute him with someone else. And he was, as Mingyu took his place, albeit regretfully and nervously because everyone agreed that Jungkook was most definitely the strongest player in the whole arena— he isn’t called the ace for no reason— and taking his place doesn’t come with no pressure. But Jungkook had to be out so he could get first aid. He was also not allowed to play for the remaining time. If he was feeling better, he could play the second half.

Fuck. Why did he get himself injured? They had decided they were going to end this match right away. They weren’t going to give the other team a single victory. But this injury was definitely a shock to everyone. How will his team manage without him out there? What if they lose the first half? What if they lose the entire game? Jungkook clenched his fist as he pressed his lips tightly. He can’t allow that. He has to get his shit together, somehow—

“Kookie!” He looked up from the ground at the sudden call from a familiar voice to see Chaeyoung rushing towards him. He stared at her as she approached him and knelt down in front of him.

“Can I do this?” Jungkook realised she was asking the team manager if she could finish bandaging his injured ankle. The manager nodded and gave her the tools, as she got up and left.

Jungkook could only sit quietly as Chaeyoung started to wrap the bandage around his ankle, carefully and gently. He felt a lot calmer that Chaeyoung was here now, but at the same time he felt guilty and embarrassed that he couldn’t live up to his title as a renowned player.

“Are you okay?” She asked, not looking up from his injury. Jungkook gulped and averted his gaze from Chaeyoung to the grassy ground beside her.

“I’m fine. I think.” He replied. Chaeyoung looked up at him this time, with worry glooming in her eyes. “You think?”

He really wanted to not trouble her. He really wanted to get up and run into the field and kick the ball into the goalpost. He hated to be benched. He doesn’t want this. He wants to play. He wants to win and see Chaeyoung’s proud face. But he can’t and this is not what he had hoped for. He gritted his teeth and tightened his already clenched fists. Damn it, he has never felt this useless.

Jungkook felt Chaeyoung’s soft palms cover his fists. He looked at their hands and back to Chaeyoung in surprise.

“Kookie… You know this is not your fault right?” She asked. Jungkook didn’t answer. He isn’t sure how to answer. He could’ve avoided that clash with the other player. So partly, he is at fault, right?

“The other team deliberately crashed into you so they could handicap us.” Chaeyoung said. “So don’t go all depressed and blame yourself now, okay?”

Jungkook could only stare at her. Firstly, he actually didn’t know what to say because he was surprised by the fact that Chaeyoung knew him far too well that he expected. Secondly, she was right. This particular batch of players were notorious for these cheap tricks, and they were warned about it before by their coach. That is why he was feeling extra bad for not being extra careful.