Chapter 52

If it were not for our current situation I would have paid more mind to the arrow in Isaacs left shoulder. My mind was also focused elsewhere on more important matters such as finding safety and because of this, I failed to take note of two very important things. The first being the poisoned tipped arrow head which had also pierced me earlier and the second being the ultimate clue to Isaacs true identity.

I reached forward to pick him up and swung his uninjured arm over my shoulder. At this movement Isaac drifted into consciousness for a brief moment.

He was unfocused and unaware of his surroundings but I could tell that he could sense danger. He did what little he could to help me support his weight as we moved quickly down the nearest passage.

Every door we passed, I tried to open but most of them were locked. I was relieved when I came across a large set of doors which opened and led into another side passage. I silently pushed them open and shut them behind me.

I placed Isaac against the wall beside one of the doors as I needed to use both hands to pick up the plank to keep them shut in place.

When I reached forward to pick Isaac up again, I heard a soft click and a hidden door appeared behind him. I did not know where it led but it was worth the risk.

I grabbed on of the soft burning candles off the wall and walked through the door into the secret passage. The door shut behind us with another soft click.

The passage before us was long and had an eerie feeling to it. Before long I could make out soft voices at the end of it. I was nervous at first but as we got closer and the voices got louder i realised that they were outside.

"Where is he?! We had a fucking deal!" A strong female voice rang out.

"My Lady, there are more pressing matters to attend to other than Lord Patricks whereabouts. Our numbers are drastically diminishing, we cannot hold out any longer..."

I was close to the end of the passage now when I noticed a small opening to the right. Choosing to go that way and avoid any confrontation with the enemy that were right on the other side of the hidden door at the end 6 of the passage, I was surprised to find not another passage but rather a small room.

There was a wooden bench and nothing else in the room. Upon further inspection I noticed a tiny hole within the wall behind the bench where natural light filtered through. Gently lying Isaac down on the bench, I blew out the candle and peeped through it. Before me was a private small little garden surrounded on all sides by the building giving it a square shape. It was mostly grass with a single tree and not more to it.

"I refuse to leave until Patrick fulfils his end of the deal."

It was the owner of the voice that I heard from earlier speaking again. The enemy. Her armour showed high rank, rank I could not identify. Surrounding her were six other soldiers, four of which were standing up with weapons at hand cautiously surveying the area around her. There was one kneeling down as he bowed to her while he tried to speak reason. The sixth however was standing over a body. I recognised the armour almost immediately. My breathing hitched and my blood ran cold.

Ivor.

"My Lady, I respect your decisions but I cannot guarantee your safety if we stay here any longer." The bowed solider desperately pleaded.

"I understand but if Patrick has betrayed us we need to move to plan B. Wake him up." She gave a nod towards the solider hovering over Ivor.

The solider complied and gave Ivor's battered body a hard kick to the side. I have never been so relieved in my life compared to that moment when Ivor let out a groan and began to regain consciousness.

"Wake up you scum." the soldier gave Ivor another kick and then proceeded to grab him by the hair and pull his head up to face the women who gave the order.

"If you value your life General, you better listen to me carefully. Over ten years ago something extremely precious was stolen from my kingdom. I need you to tell me where would be the best place to hide it?"

Ivor looked up at her "What are you talking about...?" he managed to wheeze out. I could tell he was quite injured.

She annoyed and sent a silent order to the solider behind Ivor. The solider threw a hard punch into Ivor's stomach. Ivor gasped and hunched over.

I needed to stop this. I had to save him. I was about to act when the four surrounding soldiers all of a sudden dropped dead as they were taken out by a two cross bows.

"My Lady watch out!" The previously bowing solider pushed the women out the way and took her place as an arrow struck through his neck killing him instantly.

The solider holding Ivor left him and ran to attack one of the two soldiers that had the cross bows.

The other solider came into view now with sword in hand as he aimed to take on the women. She managed to just in time deflect the attack with her own sword. When the attacker jumped back she reached up and pulled off her helmet to reveal such blonde hair that it was almost white that was braided back in four separate tight braids.

"Can't see properly with that stupid thing." she muttered out referring to the now discarded helmet.

I could make out some of her other features such as her dark eyebrows and high cheek bones from this angle. She must be rather beautiful.

Her movements were swift and smooth, almost as if they were completely natural and soon afterwards she managed to completely remove the helmet off her attacker.

In normal armour, armour only fit for a common solider and definitely not someone of his rank and calibre stood Prince Edward.

Before I could process anything I was met with a very strange feeling. Something felt off. Terribly off.

I needed to get out there right now.