Chapter 14

The Royal army...

People who join especially now during the warring periods where battles arise from all over not only from neighbouring kingdoms but within the four territories as well since uprisings tend to happen every now and then when the people choose to go against authorities tend to not live very long.

Basically the life span of a solider would be approximately 8 months, survive longer and you get promoted not to mention how badly the knights treated you if you weren't of Noble wealth. Days as a soldier were rough for lousy pay and harsh conditions.

But unfortunately I have no fricking choice. I took a deep breath and bit my tongue harshly to distract myself once again from my pain so I could walk normally to show that I was not injured and was physically well enough to join.

I started to push my way through the crowd some people moved when they saw the armour I wore out of respect but others didn't really pay any heed to me.

When I finally got to the front there was a stand with two annoyed and bored looking soldiers eyeing everyone who came to sign up. They were sitting at a simple wooden desk holding documents of all sorts. Behind them stood a tall very well built man with long brown shoulder length hair leaning against a pillar. He was clad in silver armour similar to the two at the desk but with slight differences.

A scar sat slightly over his nose and a cross his right cheek probably inflicted from a sword or another sharp object. He had a menacing gaze with sharp steel grey eyes that nearly gave me nightmares when he vaguely looked in my direction looking equally as annoyed and bored as the other two.

All in all he was rather intimidating and looked terribly unfriendly if not approachable. The other two at the desk were complete opposites. The one was really tall but extremely skinny and looked odd in his armour. His hair was long and tied back and he held a scowl on his face. The other was really short and chubby but had short hair and didn't look as moody as his friend.

I didn't take off the helmet I wore when I approached them leaving my face totally hidden with my gender hidden as well as women were not allowed to join the army.

"Oh look a prison guard. You guys always bore the hell out of me. So what do you want?" It was chubby who spoke.

"What do you mean what does he want, obviously he is here to explain that alarm earlier Fatty." The tall one said with slight annoyance in his tone but you could here the slight hint of playfulness when he called his friend Fatty.

"Shut it Jessie, I knew that and how many times have I told you not to call me that. I am not fat I am just big boned." Chubby glared which resulted in Jessie glaring back.

It was like an intense glaring competition going on between the two. I interrupted with a cough causing them to tear their gazes away from each other.

"Sorry for Mr I am not fat I am just big boned's stupidity. Obviously you bring news so speak." Chubby glared at Jessie when he said that. If looks could kill he would be 6 feet under.

"A prisoner escaped." I dropped my voice once again a few octaves lower but there really wasn't any need as my stolen helmet helped with that anyway.

"Wow you guys suck at doing your jobs, so glad I wasn't forced for that line of work." Chubby and Jessie chuckled and what Chubby said, scar face just rolled his eyes.

I just stood there waiting patiently. I saw a few other men behind me getting annoyed and asking me to hurry up and leave already so they could join.

"You can go now." Chubby spoke.

"Actually I am here for another reason not just to tell you that but to join."

There was silence. Before Jessie chuckled.

"Finally realised how crap being a prison guard is? Nice joke wanting to join the royal army, you don't have what we are looking for wimp. Now run along home to your mother."

"Don't have what you looking for hey? Try me."

"To much work besides I have better things to do." Jessie didn't even look at me when he said this, instead he looked boredly into the distance. Chubby rolled his eyes at his friend.

"Ignore Stupid over here. You can still join however they will probably kick you out at training because I can agree with him on one thing at least, you do look rather wimpy. Plus prison guards don't last long in the army." Jessie glared at Chubby from the corner of his eye at the nickname.

I was handed a few forms to fill out and told to head to the north gate with a bunch of other men. Once there we were forced into open roofed carts after a short man gathered our required documentation mine was fake of course. The guards at the gate let the carts through without any searches surprisingly considering a prisoner has escaped. Guess my plan worked after all.

One problem how the hell do I get out of this now. I wish I could jump out of the cart an head off but I can't, we are firstly moving way to slowly and secondly I am stuck between two bulky dudes who are practically squishing my guts out. Why do I always have the worst luck.

Oh well I just have to escape the training camp before they find out that I am a female. I am surprised they let me take my armour and helmet with me and not forced me out of it.

When we arrived we were told that our current abilities would be tested and they would see if we would be fit enough to join the ranks. I started to panic slightly. I have no real fighting skill just basic defence with my dagger. Plus I was once again reminded that I was injured and this armour is a little too big and heavy for me.

Why does everything bad always happen to me..