Four (edited)

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬・✿・▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬・✿・▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

The Rabbit mage's voice cracked over the background static of the fraying connection.

The full moon in the heavens provided only a drop of the magical energy that the sun bestowed upon the earth. The smaller pieces of Kedharan technology were often rendered useless at night.

The winds lifted the strands of black hair hanging over Daminey's left ear and the magic-powered communication crystal hugging it.

Very relaxed for someone putting their mage-in-charge in trouble aren't you? asked her mind as she took in the waterscape lying before them. In the distance, twisted branches of dead trees broke the water surface like hands calling for help. Daminey averted her eyes from there.

A thick fog covered the horizon, having formed from the remnants of the bigger clouds that had washed a town away into oblivion.

They can't fire a mage for saving a life, can they? I'll be quick with the rescue. A jump in and out, Hima would wake up in the infirmary drinking fresh water for the first time in hours.

Daminey bit her lower lip as she walked over the slippery, wet dam walls, letting her bare toes tingle with vertigo. The breeze formed ripples on the surface of the brimming reservoir. Little waves lapped at the slick black stone. On the other side of the full reservoir was the sheer drop offered by the smooth slope of the arch dam, broken only by the turbulent liquids gushing out of the seven open gates.

The sway of her tired muscles wreaked havoc with her balance. A yawn escaped her mouth and her eyelids drooped a little more. The rising moon separated itself and combined with its twin in her double vision.

I have to be careful, she thought, blinking away the tears from her yawn.

I can't stress myself out tonight; Archmage Hemantha will kill Arassey and me if he catches me sleeping on duty.

I'll have to be back home before the moon hits its peak.

The Rabbit skin-armour was just as fair as the moon shining over it, with the mist around the dam enshrouding it. Its bearer, Arassey crouched on the wall, holding herself up on one leg with the other's knee fixed into stone. Though Daminey couldn't see her lips moving behind her facial armour, she could hear her explaining her position to the mission control at the Mrichagōpura. As she moved closer to her, fighting her cotton clothes flapping in the breeze for control over her body, Arassey's queries acquired clarity.

Fifty Ketakeyans remained unreported and missing according to the Royal Citizen Archives.

The Rabbit mage hadn't informed mission control about their little detour and protocol-flaunting. Daminey was breaking roughly twenty different rules simply by standing over the reservoir and admiring her reflection in the dark water.