Seven

◦❁❀❁◦

◦❁❀❁◦

The Jackal apprentice wrapped a third layer of cloth around the man's finger-stubs and waited for his response.

Her mind juggled several thoughts at a time, and her eyes stayed glued to the spots of red that kept blooming through the layers of cloth. She had a builder going into hypervolemic shock in her hands, a hungry mother makara at her heels, and a probable suspension of her mage license waiting in the wings. An exasperated sigh left her dry mouth when the man stayed unconscious. Her feet ached from each time a jagged stone had found their arch during her run.

Give me any sign, a blink, a moan, she pleaded. You have a family waiting for you back home, bhrāta, brother respond, tell me that you're alive.

The Kingfisher mage had drifted away and out of sight when she had chased them, with the orbs of orange energy around their hands quickly becoming the only parts of them visible. Daminey had stopped when her legs gave in and her knees hit the stone ground with a thud. The Kingfisher mage soon disappeared out of her sight, both normal and infrared, much to her dismay.

Her body still shook with the force of her chest furiously trying to replenish the oxygen debt of her muscles. It took her several raids of the marketplace to find cotton clothes useful for bandaging wounds. The man's hands were cold and clammy to touch as she tightened the knot of the cloth. His lips were turning blue, his skin had lightened from deep ebony to a ghostly pallor within seconds.

The apprentice looked out the doorway and noted the position of the full moon in the sky. It was at its peak, marking the midnight hour. Within two hours, backup would arrive to aid her.

What now? I can't determine how much blood he has lost and I don't think he'll survive. What do I do now? she asked herself, retracting her facial armour to wipe the sweat off of her brows and forehead. The cool air blowing in and making the ragged curtains at the entrance flap brought some relief to her overheated body. She sat down on the ground and continued to rub the man's hands, trying to heat them. Her teeth gritted as the man's arm hung limp and still.

"Dami, is that you?"

She gasped and yelled back without hesitation, her sore voice breaking into a warbler's shrill cry,

"Arassey, I'm in...quick!"

Within minutes, the Rabbit mage entered her periphery, pushed her aside and took the man's pulse.

Behind her entered another builder, a ragged man with his uttarīya blanketed around his hunched back and shoulders. Dirty water trickled down the ends of his wavy hair, staining the frayed cotton of his garb in the red, black and brown. He looked at the apprentice sharply and kept his distance from the mage trying to resuscitate his friend.