Chapter 4

We stopped at a diner just outside Katrina's hometown.

We sat down at a comfortable booth, a young woman coming up to us shortly after.

She wore a wide grin. "What can I get for you, gals?"

"Just coffee for me." I said.

"Same." Katrina added.

"Could I get a stack of blueberry waffles?" Julia asked.

The kind waitress nodded and wrote down the orders before turning to Luna.

"What about you, hun?" She asked.

   Luna looked up from the menu. "I would like a plate full of discarded animal pieces and the largest bowl of caviar you have, for dipping purposes. And I'd like to wash that down with some fine, gold flaked wine." She finished, raising her nose to the poor waitress.

   We all stared at her. "Uh, I'm sorry, ma'am, but we don't-"

   I raised my hand, cutting the waitress off. "She's joking... At least I hope she is... Anyway, she'll take the special with a cup of coffee-"

   "Orange juice." Luna corrected.

   I nodded. "Orange juice."

   The waitress nodded and gave us one last lingering look before disappearing to the back.

   I rubbed my forehead. "Thank you for that, Luna. You're always a delight."

   Katrina laughed, wrapping her arm around my shoulder.

   Luna rolled her eyes. "It's not my fault Hicksville here doesn't understand the proper points of fine dining."

   Katrina pointed a finger at her. "Watch it, you're already on thin ice."

   I shook my head, laughing a little. "She's got a point."

Luna folded her arms over her chest. "I'm not apologizing for being honest, so don't ask."

We all shared a laugh, enjoying our breakfast with minimal trouble afterwards...

We were currently driving down a two lane highway, small farm houses scattered around either side of us.

"So, which one of these were you born in?" Luna asked Katrina.

I spun around. "Alright, one more comment like that and we're leaving you here."

She sat back, scoffing. "Fine... You guys really need to work on your sense of humor..."

Julia patted her shoulder as I faced Katrina. "How far are we?"

"Their street should be right up here." She replied, turning down a small side street, little old houses lining either side.

Then, with a smile, she came to a stop outside a tiny red house, a good looking, middle aged couple sitting on the front porch.

They smiled and stood as Katrina practically jumped out of the car.

The rest of us made our way out as Katrina pulled them into huge hugs.

I rubbed my arm nervously as I approached them.

Katrina released her parents before gesturing to me. "Mom, dad, this is Shelby. My fiancée."

Her parents smiled, her dad offering me his hand. "My names Jacob and this is my wife, Sonny."

   I shook his hand before turning my attention to Katrina's mom. "It's a pleasure."