Chapter 5

We woke up bright and early the next morning. My parents informed us that they were throwing an announcement party in a few short hours.

   So, we got ready for the day before helping them get the house set up...

   As we waited for the first guests to arrive, Shelby walked up next to me, taking my hand in hers. "Hey, how're you feeling?" I asked.

   She took a quick glance at me. "A little nervous."

   I smiled a little. "Why?"

   She shrugged. "It's just... I've never had to tell a room full of strangers that I'm gay, you know?"

   I wrapped my arm around her shoulders, pressing a light kiss to her lips. "I understand, but I'll be right here next to you the whole time. And, besides, everyone is super friendly."

   She smiled a little. "That makes me feel a little better."

   I kissed her again. "Good."

   Then, a knock rang out from the door.

   "I'll get it." My mom said.

   Shelby stood tall and squared her shoulders, sucking in a confident breath.

   "You ready?" I asked.

   She gave me a stern nod as my mom opened the door... My heart sank a little when I saw who was on the other side.

   Shelby seemed to deflate next to me as well.

   I gave Shelby's hand a squeeze before plastering on a bright, welcoming smile. "Daisy, it's been to long."

   She smiled, pulling me into a hug. "Way to long."

   Shelby stepped up next to me as we pulled apart. "Daisy, I'd like to introduce you to my fiancée, Shelby." I said, gesturing towards her.

   Shelby smiled a little and waved.

   Daisy returned her smile. "Well, aren't you a cute little thing. Bring it in."

   Shelby awkwardly accepted the hug. "It's nice to, uh, meet you." She said.

   Daisy placed a hand on her shoulder. "Sure thing, darling. I'm surprised Katie here decided to finally settle down. She was quite the firecracker when we were younger." She said with a laugh.

   I let out a slight sigh. "What can I say, I love her."

   Daisy let out a obnoxious laugh. "You're to funny."

   Shelby tensed up a little next to me before getting my attention. "I'm gonna go grab a drink."

   "I'll join you." Daisy said, taking Shelby arm and leading her into the kitchen.

   I palmed my forehead.

   "Smooth." Luna said as she walked past. Julia patted my shoulder as she followed behind Luna.

   I shook my head slightly before joining them in the kitchen, the rest of the guests arriving shortly after.

Shelby stood in the kitchen, being fawned over by the rest of my family. But, at least she seemed to have a genuine smile.

I decided to save her anyway.

"You guys better not be interrogating her." I joked as I walked up next to my aunts, uncles, and cousins.

"Oh, relax, we're just trying to learn a little about the gorgeous young lady who stole our Katie's heart." My aunt said with a wave of her hand.

Shelby rubbed the back of her neck, a blush forming on her cheeks. "Well, thank you."

Before I could respond, though, Daisy walked up next to me an whispered in my ear. "Can I talk to you outside?"

I glanced at her. "Uh, sure."

Then, I looked back to Shelby. "Would you excuse me?"

She nodded before going back to the conversation with my family.

I let Daisy lead me out into the backyard, closing the door behind us. "So, what's on your mind?"

She smirked a little. "Just trying to figure out your angle here."

I rolled my eyes a little. "There's no angle, Daisy."

She waved her hand at me. "Oh please, you really expect me to believe you fell in love?"

I folded my arms over my chest. "Yes, because it's the truth."

She mimicked my pose, staring right at me. "I don't buy it."

I threw my arms up. "Yeah, well, I don't know what to tell you, then."

Then, I turned and started to head back inside, when Daisy grabbed my hand. Spinning me back around.

This time the look on her face was sincere. "Katie... What about us?" She asked, running her free hand through my hair.

I closed my eyes, taking in a tight breath. "Daisy, please."

She stepped in closer, her words breezing past my ear. "You know you can't resist me..."

I pulled back then, shaking my head clear. "Look, there is no 'us' anymore, ok? There hasn't been for a long time."

She flashed me a fake pout. "If that's what you want."

Then, she brushed past me, heading back inside.

I let out a long sigh before sitting down on one of the lawn chairs, resting my head in my hands.

"Well, that was weird." I heard, quickly looking up.

"Luna? How long have you been out here?" I asked nervously.

"Long enough. Care to fill me in?" She asked, standing over me.

I shook my head as I stood. "Look, there's nothing going on between us, ok?"

"That's not what I saw." She replied, folding her arms over her chest.

"Luna." I said sternly.

She threw her arms up in fake surrender. "Fine, but I'm on to you." Then, she headed back inside.

I looked up at the sky. "Why? Why can't I just be happy?"

   After a few hours, everyone started filing out and the party was officially over.

   I bid my parents goodnight before leading Shelby upstairs, Luna eyeing me the whole time.

   Shelby sat on the edge of my bed, she seemed a little rattled as well.

   "Everything ok?" I asked as I sat down next to her.

   She glanced at me before nodding. "Yeah, just a little overwhelmed, that's all."

   I wrapped my arm around her shoulders. "I'm sorry I wasn't there to run interference."

   She smiled a little. "That's ok... Are you ok, though? You've seemed a little off since you talked to Daisy."

   I felt a twinge of guilt run through my gut. "I'm ok... Just ready to get married and put all this behind us."

   She let out a slight giggle, pulling us down into bed. "I know what you mean."

   I pulled the covers over us before planting a slight kiss to her lips. "I love you, good night."

   "Love you to." I replied.

   'I really, truly do.' I thought, my mind racing the whole night...