Chapter 8

The day of the wedding finally arrived. It should've been the happiest day of my life. But, I was nervous, overwhelmed, upset. What started out as a fun idea was starting to derail itself. Everything seemed to be building to a head and it was starting to worry me...

   I stood in the changing room, looking at myself in the mirror. Katrina was right, her cousin made beautiful dresses.

   Then, there was a knock on the door. "Who is it?" I asked.

   "It's me." Katrina replied.

   Katrina, the one shinning light through all of this. My rock. The only thing keeping me sane.

   I opened the door, seeing Katrina standing in her dress, her hair and makeup already finished.

   My heart rate sped up. "Wow... You look gorgeous..."

   She gestured to me. "Look who's talking."

   I smiled a little, pulling her into a deep kiss.

   She lightly pulled away after a minute. "Alright, easy now, I don't wanna ruin my makeup. My cousin would kill me."

   I chuckled a little, taking her hands in mine. "I can't believe we're actually about to do this..."

   She looked down, something hidden behind her eyes. "Are you... Are you having any doubts..?"

   "About you? No. Not even a little bit... Now, Luna on the other hand..."

   She started to laugh. "I'm sure she means well."

   I let out a little sigh. "Yeah... I probably owe her an apology, huh?"

   She shrugged. "Probably. But, I am kinda enjoying watching her cower every time she's near you."

   I let out a chuckle. "It does make me feel powerful."

   We broke into laughter then, before Luna herself poked her head in. "Uh, can we enter?" She asked.

   I raised my nose to her. "If you must."

   She nodded, leading Julia into the room.

   Julia's eyes went wide as she ran up to Katrina. "Oh no, it's bad luck to see the bride before the ceremony."

   "Julia-" She cut me off, taking Katrina by the shoulders and leading her out of the room. "Traditions are traditions." She said.

   Katrina threw a little wave and smile over her shoulder before the door closed behind them.

   I smiled a little before turning to Luna. "Hey... You ready?"

   She smoothed out the front of her dress. "Not just yet... There's something I wanted to tell you..."

   I sat down on the little couch in the room, patting the spot next to me. "Sure, what is it?"

   She sat down, nervously fidgeting with the hem of her skirt. "Well... Look I'm not very good at all this mushy shit, it's a sign of weakness and if I show the universe any weakness it'll break our deal and-"

   I put my hand on her shoulder then. "Luna, you're getting sidetracked. Just, tell me what's on your mind."

   She rolled her eyes. "Fine, but if I lose my spot on the list because of this, I'm blaming you."

   I chuckled a little. "Fair enough."

   She stood then and started pacing around the room. "I'm sorry I pissed you off and I'm sorry I said all those mean things about Katrina. I didn't mean it, I'm just..." She groaned then, looking up at the ceiling. "This is so dumb."