Chapter 6

The next morning, Katrina, Luna, Julia and I sat around the kitchen table to plan the bachelorette party. A couple of Katrina's cousins and her mom joined us while Daisy stood off to the side, arms folded over her chest.

"We have to get a stripper." One of her cousins said.

"Sign me up, I haven't had a good lap dance in years." Luna said.

"I don't know if I really want any naked people at our home, you know?" Her mom cut in.

"Who says we're having it here?" Her cousin replied.

Katrina glanced at me as the bickering continued. "You sure you wanna marry into this?"

I smiled a little, taking her hand in mine under the table. "Are you kidding? This is the most fun I've had in a while."

Katrina's mom suddenly stood. "I'm just saying, I don't need any dangling bits anywhere near my furniture."

Katrina started to laugh. "Ok, mom, relax. We're not getting a stripper and we're not having it here."

"What are we doing then?" Daisy asked.

Katrina avoided her gaze. "Um... I don't know yet."

An awkward silence started to settle in before Julia spoke up. "There's a cool little karaoke bar not far from here." She said, glancing up from her phone.

"That could be fun." I said.

Luna stood then. "But, I wanna see dangling bits."

We all looked at her, Katrina letting out a slight chuckle. "Well, when you get married, you can look at all the dangling bits you want." She said.

I raised my hand. "Can we stop saying 'dangling bits?'"

Katrina took my hand in hers as she stood, leading me up with her. "Yes, now everyone get changed, we're going to the karaoke bar."

As everyone split off to get ready for the party, Katrina and I headed up to her room.

   "Is it just me or has Luna seemed a little more..?" Katrina started.

   "Strange then usual?" I finished.

   She laughed a little. "Yes."

   I looked through my bag of clothes as I responded. "Maybe a little. I'm sure she's just excited for the big day."

   Katrina let out a slight sigh then, sitting down on the edge of the bed.

   "Everything ok?" I asked as I sat down next to her.

   She looked down at the floor, nervously fiddling with the hem of her shirt. "Yeah... It's just... There's something I wanna tell you, but I'm-"

   She was cut off by the sound of the door opening.

   We both looked over, seeing her mom poking her head in. "Sorry to interrupt, but can I borrow Shelby for a second?"

   I glanced at Katrina, who nodded. "Sure thing, Sonny."

   She led me out into the hallway, where her dad stood as well.

   "Is everything ok?" I asked.

   They shared a look before her dad spoke. "Yes, we just wanted to give you a little something before the wedding."

   Sonny held her hand out, a little box resting in her palm.

   I hesitantly took it before slowly opening it. Inside was a beautiful, old necklace. "Wow, it's gorgeous."

   "It was my grandmothers and it's been handed down through the family for generations. A little way of saying: 'welcome to the family.'" Her dad replied.