Second Year~Chapter Three

Third Person POV

Harry heard from Hogwarts one sunny morning about a week after he and (Y/N) had arrived at The Burrow. Harry and Ron went down to breakfast to find Mr and Mrs Weasley, Ginny and (Y/N) were already sitting at the kitchen table.

The moment she saw Harry, Ginny accidentally knocked her porridge bowl to the floor with a loud clatter. Ginny seemed very prone to knocking things over whenever Harry entered a room. She dived under the table to retrieve the bowl and emerged with her face glowing like the setting sun. (Y/N) pressed her lips together, trying to hold in a laugh. Pretending he hadn't noticed this, Harry sat down and took the toast Mrs Weasley offered him.

'Letters from school,' said Mr Weasley, passing Harry, (Y/N) and Ron identical envelopes of yellowish parchment, addressed in green ink. 'Dumbledore already knows you're here, Harry, (Y/N) – doesn't miss a trick, that man. You two've got them, too,' he added, as Fred and George ambled in, still in their pyjamas.

For a few minutes there was silence as they all read their letters. They told them to catch the Hogwarts Express as usual from King's Cross station on September the first. There was also a list of the new books they'd need for the coming year.

Second-year students will require:

The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2 by Miranda Goshawk
Break with a Banshee by Gilderoy Lockhart
Gadding with Ghouls by Gilderoy Lockhart
Holidays with Hags by Gilderoy Lockhart
Travels with Trolls by Gilderoy Lockhart
Voyages with Vampires by Gilderoy Lockhart
Wanderings with Werewolves by Gilderoy Lockhart
Year with the Yeti by Gilderoy Lockhart

Fred, who had finished his own list, peered over at (Y/N)'s.

'You've been told to get all Lockhart's books, too!' he said. 'The new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher must be a fan – bet it's a witch.'

At this point, Fred caught his mother's eye and quickly busied himself with the marmalade.

'That lot won't come cheap,' said George, with a quick look at his parents. 'Lockhart's books are really expensive ...'

'Well, we'll manage,' said Mrs Weasley, but she looked worried. 'I expect we'll be able to pick up a lot of Ginny's things second-hand.'

'Oh, are you starting at Hogwarts this year?' Harry asked Ginny.

She nodded, blushing to the roots of her flaming hair, and put her elbow in the butter dish. Fortunately no one saw this except Harry, because just then Ron's elder brother Percy walked in. He was already dressed, his Hogwarts prefect badge pinned to his knitted tank top.

'Morning, all,' said Percy briskly. 'Lovely day.'

He sat down in the only remaining chair but leapt up again almost immediately, pulling from underneath him a moulting, grey feather duster – at least, that was what Harry thought it was, until he saw that it was breathing.

'Errol!' said Ron, taking the limp owl from Percy and extracting a letter from under its wing. 'Finally – he's got Hermione's answer. I wrote to her saying we were going to try and rescue you from the Dursleys.'

He carried Errol to a perch just inside the back door and tried to stand him on it, but Errol flopped straight off again so Ron laid him on the draining board instead, muttering, 'Pathetic.' Then he ripped open Hermione's letter and read it out loud:

Dear Ron and (Y/N), and Harry if you're there,

I hope everything went all right and that Harry is OK and that you didn't do anything illegal to get him out, Ron, because that would get Harry into trouble, too. (Y/N), I expect that you stopped them from doing anything like that. – 'Er, maybe I should've done,' said (Y/N). – I've been really worried and if Harry is all right, will you please let me know at once, but perhaps it would be better if you used a different owl, because I think another delivery might finish your one off.