Fourth Year~Chapter Thirteen

(Y/N)'s POV

I sat there, numb with shock. Everyone in the Great Hall had turned to look at Harry, who hadn't moved from his seat. He looked as if he had not heard correctly, or didn't want to accept what had just been said.

There was no applause. A buzzing, as though of angry bees, was starting to fill the Hall; some students were standing up to get a better look at Harry as he sat, frozen, in his seat.

Up at the top table, Professor McGonagall had got to her feet and swept past Ludo Bagman and Professor Karkaroff to whisper urgently to Professor Dumbledore, who bent his ear toward her, frowning slightly.

Harry turned to me, Ron and Hermione; beyond him, I saw the long Gryffindor table all watching him, open-mouthed.

'I didn't put my name in,' Harry said blankly. 'You know I didn't.'

The three of us stared just as blankly back.

At the top table, Professor Dumbledore had straightened up, nodding to Professor McGonagall.

'Harry Potter!' he called again. 'Harry! Up here, if you please!'

'Go on,' Hermione whispered, giving Harry a slight push.

Harry got to his feet, trod on the hem of his robes, and stumbled slightly. He set off up the gap between the Gryffindor and Hufflepuff tables. Not one of the hundreds of people in the hall dared to take their eyes off him, as though each were a searchlight. The buzzing grew louder and louder. After what seemed like an hour, Harry was right in front of Dumbledore, with all the teachers' stares upon him.

'Well ... through the door, Harry,' said Dumbledore. He wasn't smiling.

Harry moved off along the teachers' table, passing Hagrid, who was right at the end. I saw that he did not wink at Harry, or wave, or give any of his usual signs of greeting. He looked completely astonished and stared at Harry as he passed like everyone else.

Harry went through the door of the Great Hall, into another room. The moment he had left, the buzzing that was echoing around the hall turned into shouts and chatter. Everyone was shocked at what had just happened and were all taking in the news in very different ways.

Those on the Gryffindor table mostly looked confused, but joyous – Harry being in the tournament would mean that there was a chance that the winner would be from their own house. I saw Fred and George Weasley cheering the loudest. Students in the older years looked slightly disappointed that they weren't chosen, but still pleased at the prospect of a Gryffindor champion. I looked over at the other house tables, already knowing which reactions I was about to face.

The Hufflepuffs all looked rather angry, which was understandable and expected. Cedric had been their chance to have some glory, but Harry's name coming out of the Goblet of Fire had completely undermined the fact that the Hogwarts champion came from their house. A few of them sent glares in the direction of me, Ron and Hermione, as though we were to blame for the fourth champion being selected.

I could see the Ravenclaws shaking their heads in disbelief. Anyone could figure out that they were getting tired of hearing about Harry Potter and, at the furthest table, the Slytherins were causing an uproar. Everyone knew that the Slytherins were never on good terms with the Gryffindors, so they were bound to be unhappy with the second candidate from Hogwarts. This second candidate being Harry made it especially irritating for them – he had always been the Gryffindor who had received the worst torment from anyone in the Slytherin house.

I could hear students on the Hufflepuff and Slytherin tables shouting furiously. Even the Durmstrang and Beauxbatons students had voiced their incredulity. It was all very loud and was giving me a headache.