Third Year~Chapter Twelve

Third Person POV

'He – he sent us this,' Hermione said, holding out the letter.

Harry took it. The parchment was damp, and enormous teardrops had smudged the ink so badly in places that it was very difficult to read.

Dear (Y/N) and Hermione,

We lost. I'm allowed to bring him back to Hogwarts. Execution date to be fixed.

Beaky has enjoyed London.

I won't forget all the help you both gave us.

Hagrid

'They can't do this,' said Harry. 'They can't. Buckbeak isn't dangerous.'

'Malfoy's dad's scared the Committee into it,' said (Y/N). 'You know what he's like. They're a bunch of doddery old fools, and they were scared.'

'There'll be an appeal, though, there always is. Only I can't see any hope ... nothing will have changed,' said Hermione, wiping her tears.

'Yeah, it will,' said Ron fiercely. 'You won't have to do all the work this time, (Y/N), Hermione. I'll help.'

'Oh, Ron!'

Hermione flung her arms around Ron's neck and broke down completely. Ron, looking quite terrified, patted her very awkwardly on the top of the head.

(Y/N) grinned at Harry, glad that the hostile behaviour between Ron and Hermione was over. Harry was also relieved that (Y/N) wasn't annoyed at him anymore. Hermione drew away from Ron.

'Ron, I'm really, really sorry about Scabbers ...' she sobbed.

'Oh – well – he was old,' said Ron, looking thoroughly relieved that she had let go of him. 'And he was a bit useless. You never know, Mum and Dad might get me an owl now.'

~

The safety measures imposed on the students since Black's second break-in made it impossible for Harry, Ron, (Y/N) and Hermione to go and visit Hagrid in the evenings. Their only chance of talking to him was during Care of Magical Creatures lessons.

He seemed numb with shock at the verdict.

''S all my fault. Got all tongue-tied. They was all sittin' there in black robes an' I kep' droppin' me notes and forgettin' all them dates yeh looked up fer me, (Y/N), Hermione. An' then Lucius Malfoy stood up an' said his bit, and the Committee jus' did exac'ly what he told 'em ...'

'There's still the appeal!' said Ron fiercely. 'Don't give up yet, we're working on it!'

They were walking back up to the castle with the rest of the class. Ahead they could see Malfoy, who was walking with Crabbe and Goyle, and kept looking back, laughing derisively.

''S no good, Ron,' said Hagrid sadly as they reached the castle steps. 'That Committee's in Lucius Malfoy's pocket. I'm jus' gonna make sure the rest o' Beaky's time is the happiest he's ever had. I owe him that ...'

Hagrid turned round and hurried back towards his cabin, his face buried in his handkerchief.

'Look at him blubber!'

Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle had been standing just inside the castle doors, listening.

'Have you ever seen anything quite as pathetic?' said Malfoy. 'And he's supposed to be our teacher!'

Harry, Ron and (Y/N) made furious moves towards Malfoy, but Hermione got there first – SMACK!

She had slapped Malfoy around the face with all the strength she could muster. Malfoy staggered. Harry, Ron, (Y/N), Crabbe and Goyle stood flabbergasted as Hermione raised her hand again.