Fourth Year~Chapter Ten

(Y/N)'s POV

The next two days passed without great incident, unless you counted Neville melting his sixth cauldron in Potions. Professor Snape, who seemed to have attained new levels of vindictiveness over the summer, gave Neville detention, and Neville returned from it in a state of nervous collapse, having been made to disembowel a barrelful of horned toads.

'You know why Snape's in such a foul mood, don't you?' said Ron to me and Harry, as we watched Hermione teaching Neville a Scouring Charm to remove the toad guts from under his fingernails.

'Yeah,' said Harry. 'Moody.'

It was common knowledge that Snape really wanted the Dark Arts job, and he had now failed to get it for the fourth year running. Snape had disliked all of our previous Dark Arts teachers, and shown it - but he seemed strangely wary of displaying overt animosity to Mad-Eye Moody.

Indeed, whenever I saw the two of them together - at mealtimes, or when they passed in the corridors - I had the distinct impression that Snape was avoiding Moody's eye, whether magical or normal.

'I reckon Snape's a bit scared of him, you know,' I said thoughtfully.

'Imagine if Moody turned Snape into a horned toad,' said Ron, his eyes misting over, 'and bounced him all around his dungeon ...'

The Gryffindor fourth-years were looking forward to Moody's first lesson so much that we arrived early after lunch on Thursday and queued up outside his classroom before the bell had even rung.

The only person missing was Hermione, who turned up just in time for the lesson.

'Been in the -'

'- library,' Harry finished her sentence for her. 'C'mon, quick, or we won't get decent seats.'

We hurried into four chairs right in front of the teacher's desk, took out our copies of The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection, and waited, unusually quiet. Soon we heard Moody's distinctive clunking footsteps coming down the corridor, and he entered the room, looking as strange and frightening as ever. We could just see his clawed, wooden foot protruding from underneath his robes.

'You can put those away,' he growled, stumping over to his desk and sitting down, 'those books. You won't need them.'

We returned the books to our bags, Ron looking excited.

Moody took out a register, shook his long mane of grizzled grey hair out of his twisted and scarred face and began to call out names, his normal eye moving steadily down the list while his magical eye swivelled around, fixing upon each student as he or she answered.

'Right then,' he said, when the last person had declared themselves present, 'I've had a letter from Professor Lupin about this class. Seems you've had a pretty thorough grounding in tackling Dark creatures - you've covered Boggarts, Red Caps, Hinkypunks, Grindylows, Kappas and werewolves, is that right?'

There was a general murmur of assent.

'But you're behind - very behind - on dealing with curses,' said Moody. 'So I'm here to bring you up to scratch on what wizards can do to each other. I've got one year to teach you how to deal with Dark -'

'What, aren't you staying?' Ron blurted out.

Moody's magical eye spun around to stare at Ron; Ron looked extremely apprehensive, but after a moment Moody smiled - the first time I had seen him do so. The effect was to make his heavily scarred face look more twisted and contorted than ever, but it was nevertheless a relief to know that he ever did anything as friendly as smile. Ron looked deeply relieved.