Fourth Year~Chapter Eleven

Harry's POV

Early next morning, I woke with a plan fully formed in my mind, as though my sleeping brain had been working on it all night. I got up, dressed in the pale dawn light, left the dormitory without waking Ron and went back down to the deserted common room. Here I took a piece of parchment from the table upon which my Divination homework still lay, and wrote the following letter:

Dear Sirius,

I reckon I just imagined my scar hurting, I was half-asleep when I wrote to you last time. There's no point coming back, everything's fine here. Don't worry about me, my head feels completely normal.

Harry

I then climbed out of the portrait hole, up through the silent castle (held up only briefly by Peeves, who tried to overturn a large vase on me halfway along the fourth-floor corridor), finally arriving at the Owlery, which was situated at the top of West Tower.

The Owlery was a circular stone room; rather cold and draughty, because none of the windows had glass in them. The floor was entirely covered in straw, owl droppings and the regurgitated skeletons of mice and voles.

Hundreds upon hundreds of owls of every breed imaginable were nestled here on perches that rose right up to the top of the tower, nearly all of them asleep, though here and there a round amber eye glared at me. I spotted Hedwig nestled between a barn owl and (O/N), and hurried over to her, sliding a little on the dropping-strewn floor.

It took me a little while to persuade her to wake up and then to look at me as she kept shuffling around on her perch, showing me her tail. She was evidently still furious about my lack of gratitude the previous night.

(O/N) nipped my finger and stuck his leg out, as if offering to send the letter himself, but I didn't want to use him in case (Y/N) needed him later on. In the end, it was me suggesting Hedwig might be too tired, and that perhaps I would ask Ron to borrow Pigwidgeon, that made her stick out her leg and allow me to tie the letter to it.

'Just find him, all right?' I said, stroking her back as I carried her on my arm to one of the holes in the wall. 'Before the Dementors do.'

She nipped my finger, perhaps rather harder than she would ordinarily have done, but hooted softly in a reassuring sort of way all the same. Then she spread her wings and took off into the sunrise. I watched her out of sight with the familiar feeling of unease back in my stomach. I had been so sure that Sirius' reply would alleviate my worries rather than increasing them.

~

Third Person POV

'That was a lie, Harry,' said Hermione sharply over breakfast, when he told her, (Y/N) and Ron what he had done. 'You didn't imagine your scar hurting and you know it.'

'So what?' said Harry. 'He's not going back to Azkaban because of me.'

'Drop it,' said Ron sharply to Hermione, as she opened her mouth to argue some more, and for once, Hermione heeded him, and fell silent.

'It's not like there's anything you can do now, anyway,' said (Y/N). 'The letter's gone.'

Harry did his best not to worry about Sirius over the next couple of weeks. True, he could not stop himself looking anxiously around every morning when the post owls arrived, nor, late at night before he went to sleep, prevent himself seeing horrible visions of Sirius, cornered by Dementors down some dark London street, but between times he tried to keep his mind off his godfather.

He wished he still had Quidditch to distract him; nothing worked so well on a troubled mind as a good, hard training session. On the other hand, their lessons were becoming more difficult and demanding than ever before, particularly Defence Against the Dark Arts.