Ch. 27: I lost the woman I love

The little airport golf scooter flashed through the bustling airport.

Mackenzie did not know what those cars at the airport were called, so she had named it a golf scooter when it had waited for her with a driver. Thanks to Gareth, she traveled first class, and thanks to Phoenix, who had booked her tickets when they had come up with the plan, she had airport transportation included.

The ticket for her initial flight the day King took her, the airline had refused to return because the ticket had been booked, and she had not shown up. But Phoenix had gone mental on them, claiming illness, and if they needed it, he would provide them with sufficient information from a doctor attesting to that fact. Mackenzie did not know if he actually had Gerson sign papers and send them to the airline or what, but she had received a new ticket and a return ticket too. Phoenix was scary when he negotiated. Almost like Gareth, just with less emotion and more sharp words.

Her 'illness' had been a perfect reason for Phoenix to add airport transport to the booking.

So, she sat leisurely on the golf scooter on her way from baggage claim to arrivals.

She bubbled with excitement at being back home.

The driver was a nice girl who looked to be no more than twenty, chatty and sweet. She complimented Mackenzie on her dress and asked about her trip with sincere interest.

"Do you have somebody to pick you up?" she asked when they drove closer to the doors leading into arrivals. "Or do I need to take you out to a cab?"

"Yes, I think my boyfriend's picking me up."

Calling Gareth boyfriend was one of the best feelings Mackenzie had felt in a long time. Her insides sang with joy and every breath spread that joy throughout her body. She knew he was not yet. He would be, though. Just a little longer of keeping him at arm's length. But now she had the guys with her. Men who worked tirelessly to get her out from under King's thumb. They gave her hope and strength to endure the last stretch of hurting Gareth.

He would understand and forgive her after. She had to believe that.

When they drove through the doors and out into arrivals, Mackenzie spotted Gareth instantly. Dressed in all black, looking like a model. The second he saw her, he smiled a kilowatt smile, teeth flashing and eyes lit with joy. It was clear he had missed her just as much as she had missed him.

"He's over there." Mackenzie pointed at Gareth, who waved at them.

"Oh, damn. You did well with that one. Does he have any brothers?" The driver smiled crookedly, with hope in her eyes.

Mafia brothers, yes, but siblings, no. "No, I got the only one in existence."

The driver winked at Mackenzie. "Better hold on to him then. He won't be single for long if you let that piece of male wonder go."

Mackenzie laughed nervously. There was a lot of truth to those words.

"Malyshka." Gareth grabbed her by the waist and lifted her from the golf scooter the second it stopped. He loved how she instinctively wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Gareth." Mackenzie looked up at him. He was there, and he looked happy. Still... "Are we ok? I'm sorry I got so mad at you. It was just a lot to take in."

"Already forgotten, Dolly. You have nothing to apologize for. You felt the need to lash out, and I deserved it. End of story." Gareth studied her face.

In reality, he should ask her.

"But you tell me, are we ok?" Gareth asked with uncertainty. He had forgiven and forgotten already. If Mackenzie was ready to do the same, he had to know.