Ch. 36: Fhonisk!

Something burned his eyes.

Everything was too bright.

Things smelled weird.

Like antiseptics and something sugary sweet, maybe cake.

His head hurt and his eyes stung. He felt like his stomach ache like he had been on the receiving end of a really harsh boxing session.

He could not breathe properly.

Though he felt unsure about the burning, he opened his eyes and blinked hard. He tried to take a deep breath, but that did not happen.

His chest felt restricted.

Slowly, things took form.

Above him hung a less than decorative lamp, straight in his face. Well, the lamp was less than decorative, and from it hung colorful crêpe paper, maybe not making it decorative, but with that lamp, anything helped. The ceiling was white and did nothing to dim the brightness, which, to his big surprise, did not come from the lamp.

The strength of the light was like being blinded by snow.

He wished his head would stop hurting. He wanted to remember. His surroundings were unfamiliar.

His eyes drifted a little, seeing balloons and streamers in all colors of the rainbow, and posters with vibrant nature images. Shit, there were a lot of colors. He might have a blank spot in his head, but that was not his style, he was sure.

Racking his brain, he tried to find some reason in his chaotic mind. There were voices echoing, not real ones, more like distant memories. Soft-spoken words, funny words, angry words. Desperate pleas, cries, and some technical shit he could not pretend to understand.

Latin maybe.

Not among his talents, it felt like.

A blurry face kept popping into his mind. Long-ish black hair and the most mesmerizing grey eyes. If he could only see the rest, that had to be one beautiful woman right there.

No, not a woman.

Man?

The face slowly took form.

Sharp, winged eyebrows, a straight nose, very prominent cheekbones, and a defined jawline. Plumb lips...

Those were nice lips.

Why did he keep thinking of mythical creatures like dragons and...?

 A Phoenix?

His mind exploded with images.

The face, smiling, laughing, looking rather grim. Angry. Scolding, though no words went with the images, he felt the loving reprimands. Brows furrowed in disappointment and annoyance. Big hands, beautiful hands with long fingers and a soft touch, oh, and a rough touch. A torso to make models envious. Geez, a lot of muscles... And drawings. So many drawings.

Crossing keys, snaky vines, blood, tears...

'It reminds me of somebody important to me.'

The words echoed in his head.

Oh, God.

Phoenix!

Like a tidal wave, it came back to him. Bars and hotel rooms. Deep blue sheets, green sheets. Car rides, radios playing, laughter, and smiles. Sweaty bodies. Years and years of encounters and time spent together.

So many words of love. Such passion. Such intensity in the words. Sadness, despair, and worry. Words upon words flooded his mind. Some of which he could not place in a situation he remembered.