Ch. 77: Don't even go there, mate

"Where are we going?"

"Why do you keep asking that? You're worse than Rein." Mackenzie laughed and turned another corner, driving through the city.

"Because I'm curious. You made me dress up, had the kids go play with their grandparents, and you took my bloody car."

"It's a surprise, Pretty boy. Now relax, we're there soon."

"I don't like surprises. I've had enough of those to last me a lifetime," Gareth grumbled and looked out at the buildings they passed, trying to figure out where Mackenzie was taking him. "But if it involves a luxury hotel and you wearing something sexy under that stunning dress, then you've got my attention."

"Dream on."

The puppy dog eyes he sent her made Mackenzie smile. Sometimes when he showed that playful boyish side of himself, she understood how much he had changed. Or maybe it was not a change, maybe it was Gareth being himself fully.

Growth, not change.

Since the day in the basement, everybody had slowly given themselves permission to find a new rhythm, to find their lives. It had taken all of them a few days to digest and come to terms with what had transpired, and what it meant for them, but then Mackenzie had noticed people blossoming.

People breathed again. Allowed themselves to stop looking over their shoulders, to plan ahead, and not fear the future. Jace and Phoenix no longer held back with their wedding plans and had settled for a summer wedding the following year. Vasili and Zariyah had admitted to already being married, but they still went ahead with the winter wedding. A celebration of love was in order, regardless of the ceremony.

Those who had moved into Oak House had settled in for real, no longer afraid that it was just a temporary dream that they would wake up from any day.

Mackenzie and Gareth had tried to set boundaries for Rein and Leoni to assure people of their privacy, which had been futile. Everybody kept their doors open and let the kids walk in if they wanted. Not part of the plan, since Mackenzie and Gareth had wanted people to have their own space and not feel reduced to living entertainment centers for their kids.

When nothing had seemed to be done about everybody's open doors, Gareth had made the house rule that if a front door to any apartment was locked, it meant those inside wanted privacy. And he had informed the kids that it was a grown-up agreement they needed to respect.

Rein and Leoni had looked at him as if he had lost his mind. They knew what a locked door meant. It had been hilarious for Mackenzie when Rein had patiently explained to Gareth that a locked door was like going to the bathroom. Nobody wanted to be disturbed in there while reading comic books.

After that, Oak House had become a home to all its residents.

People thrived again.

Especially Gareth.

Still a workaholic, and still a ruthless opponent in business. Not that Mackenzie snooped much into that; he sometimes told her of new business deals he was involved in, though most of the time he went about his day without involving her in that. Gareth was on top of everything happening in the underground, and he had no trouble controlling his cities, it would seem. That, though, she attributed to Gareth being a wise people person and knowing his men and which suited each city best.

It was in their home life she saw the real difference.

His promise of training and getting stronger had become a near obsession for him. Each day she saw improvements, in how he used his body more efficiently and took the stairs faster and without being out of breath or in pain after. In bed, his stamina had reached new heights, and his creativity had taken a drastic turn toward something addictive.