28. Annabeth

Chapter 28: Annabeth

I was sitting on the floor, as I always did nowadays, flipping through my history notebook. I had a quiz next class and I wanted to make sure I knew everything. It didn't bother me anymore that I was always alone. Not even Piper or Will, who I thought were my friends, even waved anymore. I could hardly blame them though, because they were both too invested in their romantic relationships to even think of a friendship with me. I had grown used to it, and actually enjoyed spending time with my thoughts. It gave me time to recollect and organize myself. I studied the red, shiny apple in my hand carefully and took a large bite out of it. Its loud crunch was very satisfying.

"Hey," someone said. I didn't bother to look up, it was probably another prank, dare or simple teasing. I didn't have the energy to deal with it. "I said, hey!" Their voice was deep and I didn't recall talking to them before. I hoped it wasn't what I thought.

Whatever. I rolled my eyes and looked up. My mind did a double take when I saw him. I was staring right into the piercing eyes of Luke Castellan. "Well then," I said. "Hello," I didn't smile, but rather took another bite of my apple.

"Is this seat taken?" he asked charmingly. His eyes were shining and I could tell he was enjoying this interaction.

"Sure, you can take it if you want," I flipped through another page.

"So, what are you doing?" he asked, flexing his hands on his bent knees. He leaned over my shoulder to see what I was looking at.

"Studying, duh," I rolled my eyes.

"I mean what," he said.

"History."

His eyes focused on the journal and he said happily, "your handwriting is neat and pretty."

"Thanks," I smiled, surprised at his kindness. Percy had always complained that he was a jerk, and at the fundraiser over the summer, he seemed to fit that description.

"Sort of like you," he whispered.

My smile twisted, laughing, and I turned to look at him. Suddenly I lost all the air I had to breathe. He was a lot closer than I had anticipated, and I was staring at his full, pink lips. I could feel his soft breath on my lips. I forced myself to look up from and into his eyes. As my eyes trailed up his face, I detected a small flush forming at the base of his cheeks.

"Who do you have?" he asked. "I mean, for history. Maybe I can give you some pointers for the class," he smiled.

"Mr. Rudd," I rolled my eyes. He was a large, white, old-fashioned man with a snappy attitude. His class was one of the hardest I was taking.

"Oh yeah! I hated him."

"He's the worst," I looked back at my notebook.

"Especially when he starts to talk about his family," Luke snickered.

"His dog!" I laughed.

"With his big, brown spot," copied Luke, forming a gruff voice.

I didn't respond and awkward silence filled the space. I started to get really nervous. I hated when people were quiet. I preferred if people talked to themselves, about random things, than having to sit with someone quietly.

"So how are you?" he said, after a while.

"What do you want Luke?" I asked, cutting to the chase once and for all.

"You didn't answer my question."

"Nor did you."

"I asked mine first. Now tell me, how do you really feel?"

My eyes wandered over to Percy automatically. He was laughing and pulling Calypso into a hug. "I'm doing just fine," I grinned, when he caught my eyes and realized who I was talking to.

"Now, what do you want?"

"What do you mean?" I could feel his smile falter.

"No one ever talks to me, so either you're doing this for a dare or you need something. Now spill." I narrowed my eyes.

"I don't need anything! I just wanted to talk to you. You seem like a really cool and smart person," he smiled. My heart fluttered.

Tears couldn't help but form in my eyes.
"What's wrong?" he said, reaching out to grab my hands.

"I'm just really honored," I laughed, wiping tears from my eyes. I hadn't experienced kindness or friendliness in so long I had forgotten what it felt like.

"Well you shouldn't be. You're extremely smart and pretty."

"Stop it with the compliments!" I waved the air in between us. "I don't know how to react to them."

"Then don't," he laughed.

"Hey that's actually a pretty good tip," I smiled. "Anyways I have to get to class. See ya later," I began to pack up my stuff.

He grinned. "Actually, I was hoping you'd be honored to come if I asked you if we could hang out sometime...?" His gaze was hopeful and his eyes were wide.

"On a date?" my voice wavered. There was no way in hell I was agreeing to a date. No matter how charming he was.

"Oh no!" he laughed. "I mean, only if you want to... but I'd love to hang out, even as friends."

"Okay then. As friends," I confirmed. His eyes sunk a little. "When?"

"I have a swim meet in a couple days... would it be okay if you came to watch and then we can go out to get a cup of coffee or something?" he asked.

"You want coffee after a swim meet?" I burst out laughing. The very thought of something so hot on a hot day was outrageous.

"Well I wanted to make sure you said yes and then maybe I would have worked on the coffee part. Maybe like an ice-cream or something..."

"Sure!" I giggled. "I'd love to," I placed my hands over his. I smiled at my burst of confidence.

"Great!" he smiled. He reached out a hand for me to come up and I grabbed it. The momentum pushed us together and we were once again standing very close to each other. I was so flustered I took a step away and nearly tripped on my own feet. He laughed at me teasingly and I grinned. My social anxiety loved to get the better of me in these situations.

"See you then," he smirked and saluted, walking away. The bell rang and my mind raced through what had just happened before I took off for my next class.