11. Percy

Chapter 11: Percy

I couldn't get her out of my mind. Call it attraction, call it love, I didn't know what to think. I had never had a real crush, other than a couple in elementary school. And I had thought that certain girls were more attractive in middle school, but never to this level. I couldn't stop thinking of the way her ringlets fell on her shoulders. Or the way the storm in her eyes seemed to calm to a cool, breezy wind when I made her laugh.

I wanted to see her again. No, I didn't want to. I needed to. "Hey, mom, I'll pick up Tyson today," I hollered from upstairs, as I dumped out his closet to find a clean shirt, or one without stains. Finally! It wasn't my best shirt, but it would have to do. I rushed to the bathroom and looked at the reflection. I put on his cap, which of course said MCHS SWIM, and messed up the hair that was sticking out. Girls liked that, right?

My cheeks were flushed from thinking about her, and I quickly took some deep breaths to calm himself. My heart was rushing, and I wasn't even near her. I walked downstairs, and refused to look at my mom in the eye. "Hey, mom, I can pick up Tyson today."

"Yeah, I heard. That's so sweet, Percy. He'll be so happy."

"Yeah, I gotta go," I said, and rushed out of the house. I couldn't let her see my flushed cheeks.

"Bye Percy! Love you!" my mom called.

I turned. Big mistake. "Love you too," I blurted as quickly as possible and turned back around. I had already seen her eyebrows furrowing with confusion and suspicion. She had SEEN MY CHEEKS. As I closed the door, I sprinted across the neighborhood. Only when I reached the bus stop, was I able to take a deep breath and calm my jumpy nerves. She didn't suspect anything, right?

On the bus ride, I tried to brainstorm what I was going to say to Annabeth. If I even got to see her.

I finally got to the park. I waited by a bench, which was partially hidden from view because of a tree. I observed her from afar. Her curly hair was tied back in a messy bun, and she was wearing her usual orange t-shirt, though this time, she had blue shorts. She had her arms wrapped around a little boy, hugging him, and in the moment, I only wished I could take his place.

I looked away at the other campers. The morning session was clearing out, and the place was swarming with kids and parents. I suddenly saw Tyson with his friends, jumping and high-fiving their hands. I stood up and leaned against the tree to watch him. His face radiated joy and happiness. He was already making me smile...

"He's so cute, right?" said a voice next to me.

"Argh!" I jumped up, but in doing so, I tripped on a branch and fell on the floor.

The blonde curls I had been daydreaming of came into my vision. Not in a dream, but in real life. "Well, I guess, now it's my turn to help you back up, isn't it?" Annabeth teased.

Annabeth grasped my outstretched arm and pulled me forward. The momentum brought me really close to her. I could feel her lemon-scented breath on my cheeks, tickling me ever so slightly. My breathing shallowed, my eyes focusing on hers.

She suddenly cleared her throat and stepped back.

I scratched my head, "thanks."

"Of course," she smiled.

"Oh look! Here he comes!" she whisper-yelled.

I smiled as I kneeled down and opened my arms. Tyson began to scream with excitement and ran towards me. Just as he was nearing me, I caught him in my arms and twirled him in the air.