4. Annabeth

Chapter 4: Annabeth

Percy and Tyson left me there stunned and still dizzy from the impact of the ball. I scowled. No matter how cute or sweet Tyson was, his older brother was a jerk. How dare he hit me in the head! I tried to recount what had happened.

My mind bubbled with the blurry memories. Tyson sprinting off to a young man in the distance. I was running after him. The young man hit the ball with his head. The ball came closer and closer and closer, until my eyelids opened. I found myself face to face with Percy Jackson's sea green eyes. Piper and Tyson were standing off to the side. It seemed like a dream, but I knew it wasn't. My blood boiled with frustration. Why did it bother me so much?

"Hey!" called out another camp leader. Her name surfaced in my mind. Hazel. "Are you okay?"

I smiled weakly. "Yeah, I don't really know what happened there."

"You should get some water before heading home," she smiled.

"I will. Thanks."

"Yeah, and hey, I saw your game of capture-the-flag, and I would love to organize another game with my group of kids if you want."

"Are you working alone?" Most counselors teamed up as a way to be able to play more games. Working with Piper, I knew it was much easier. I couldn't imagine being in charge of so many kids. Alone.

"Yeah, but —"

"Don't worry. Look, on Friday there's going to be a camp-wide game, so everyone will get to play."

"Oh! Great!" she smiled. I felt like she wanted something more out of the conversation, but I didn't have the will or energy to go forth with it.

"I'll see you tomorrow," I told her and ran off towards my house, leaving myself with my thoughts. I instantly plugged in my earbuds, by instinct and started listening to my music.

I made the big mistake of entering the house with my earbuds in my ears and the rock music still blasting. My mother hates it when I play music in the house, other than her classical music. And my dad is never home, so he can't argue against her. But I still listen to it in secret.

My step brother, Jeffrey, was sitting on the swiveling bar-style chair when I entered. "'Sup," he said, barely looking up from his phone. He blew out a bubble from his gum and popped it. The pink gum went splattering across his cheeks. I looked away, disgusted.

My mother walked down the stairs, and suddenly I realized I still had my earbuds in. I scrambled to stop the music, but it was too late. Looking back on it, why the hell did my brother not warn me?

"What's that noise, Annie?" she asked, sweetly, but I could feel the venom in her words.

"Oh, nothing."

"I hope you're not listening to that horrid rock music. It's so disheartening to see such young teenagers get lost on that."

"I'm sorry, mother." Lost on what? I thought. It's not like I was smoking or drinking. The teenagers who did that were truly lost. I smiled apologetically and tried to make a run for it.

"Annie, where are you going?" she stopped me. I scowled. I hated the nickname, but she never stopped using it.

My step brother laughed at me. "Shut up," I told him.

"That was rude, Annie. Apologize," she clicked her tongue.

I turned to my step-brother. "I'm sorry." He smirked.

"Oh, did I forget to mention? Your dad said that he's bringing a friend of yours to visit, so you'll have to share a room."

"Rachel?" I asked, excitedly. I loved Rachel, she was my best friend back in San Francisco. We always joked that I was the only sane one in the house. Even my step-brother perked up. I think he had a little crush on her.

"Yeah," she grimaced.

I rolled my eyes. My step-mother was very unsupportive of me in every possible way. "When is she coming?"

"Tonight."

I squealed. "Tonight?! But that means I'll have to clean out my room and make dinner."

"Yeah, so you'd better get started."

I harrumphed and ran upstairs. I had so much to do before she got here. And of course, my step-mother had chosen to tell me the last minute, so I'd be rushed with everything. Typical.

My playlist got me through my room. Dancing and sweeping with a broom, lip-singing while I folded my clothes, and moving my feet to the rhythm while I washed the windows.

At six o'clock, I started cooking dinner. Nothing much, but I planned to make s'mores with Rachel before going to bed.

Finally, at seven I sat on the couch, exhausted. My day had been nonstop from the minute I woke up to now. I let out a deep breath.

The doorbell rang and I sprung up. I combed my fingers through my messy hair and opened the door. I jumped up to hug my dad as soon as I saw his smiling face in the door.

"Hi sweetheart," he whispered. He looked drained from the flight, with his messed up tie and tangled hair, but he still managed to sound upbeat and happy.

I looked past him. "Rachel?!" I squealed.

She smirked. "Miss me much?" She dropped her bags, literally, and we hugged for a long time. I had missed her so much. Ever since we moved, I had never truly felt home, but seeing her made me feel a lot more at home than I had ever felt in the past few weeks.

As we let go, I couldn't help notice how much she'd changed. She was taller, and leaner. Her wardrobe style was completely different, and she was now wearing luxurious clothes. It was definitely not the nerdy Rachel I had left back in San Francisco. I just hoped the changes were all superficial.

Dinner was awkward. I couldn't truly talk to Rachel, even while my parents were whispering with each other. And my brother made moony eyes towards Rachel the whole time.

After dinner, I took Rachel up onto the roof. We had a small terrace, where you could see all of the stars. Finally, a place where we could talk in peace.

"So, tell me. What's new with you?" she asked.

"Well, not much, other than the fact that I moved here and I miss you every day," I smiled. "Oh! And I now volunteer for a day camp at the park near here."

"Aw! That's so cute, Annabeth. You were always good with younger children."

My heart lifted. She hadn't changed. She was still my best friend. "What about you?"

"Well, I haven't really been doing anything other than seeing my friends." She laughed.

I didn't know how to respond, so I changed the topic. "How long are you staying here?"

"Oh, I think a week and a half."

"Cool!"

We looked up at the stars in silence. I felt so awkward and insecure. Had a couple weeks really damaged our friendship to these conditions? It didn't feel the same. But then again, nothing was the same ever since I moved here.

In an attempt to make conversation, I asked her if she wanted to hear a funny story. Of course, she agreed and I told her about my mini accident at camp. We laughed, but once I was done, she only wanted to know more about Tyson's brother.

"What was he like? What color were his eyes? Did he smile at you?" she fired.

I sat there stunned. When had Rachel become so boy-crazed? "Well, he was a jerk with green eyes?" I wasn't so sure about the last part.

"Ooo," she giggled. "We should try to find him again." Wait, what? Why did she want to find him?

I gave her a fake laugh. "Huh, maybe." But, in reality, I did not intend on finding him again that jerk in any way whatsoever.