40. Annabeth

Chapter 40: Annabeth

I think there wasn't really a word to describe how I was feeling. Emotional? No, that was too vague. Heartbroken? Too obvious. Maybe the word shocked could envelope it all. Shocked that Luke had forgiven me, and then shocked that he had run away anyways. Shocked that Percy had sought me out and comforted me.

But in this instant, I was shocked for an entirely different reason. Calypso was charging at me with a ferocious, feline-like look in her eyes. I was frozen with fear. She was screaming at me and I stood there agape, my mouth hanging. I wanted to laugh at the absurdity, but I couldn't form the sound.

Her hair was flying wildly behind her and in that moment she looked gorgeous, in the most cruel way possible. Her brown eyes had turned into a golden hue, her nails seemed to extend into claws as she reached for me and her hair bounced on her shoulders in locks. I thought it was crazy that even when she was angry, she could look perfect.

I refused to move. If she wanted to slap me, then fine. After all this, I probably deserved it anyways.

But Percy, being the hero he is, stepped in front of me, and held her outstretched arms firmly.

"Calypso," he shook his head, disappointed. The realization could be seen in her eyes. She loosened her attack and stepped back.

"I'm sorry—I don't know what came over me," her French accent was especially thick and she sniffled.

"Annabeth, I need to talk to Calypso—"

"You'll find me," I smiled softly. It was a lie, but my heart fluttered anyway, knowing that he was choosing me.

My last bit of happiness.

I moved away from them, their hushed words drowning out as I pulled out my earbuds and I plugged in my music, my therapy and my best friend all in one.

I walked up the stairs of the school, all the way to the last floor, and then I stepped up on a ladder that led to the roof that had been forgotten by the janitor. I carefully strapped my backpack tighter to me, took in a deep breath and placed my hands on the metal ladder.

Instantly, a shiver passed through me but I looked up, determined to reach the top. My music gave me courage and my heartbreak gave me the motivation to move up on the ladder. I had to stop a couple of times, the dizziness of climbing causing my stomach to twist and turn, in a feeling I could only describe as pure panic, but I pressed on. By the time I reached the last step, I was completely out of breath and was panting heavily. But I pushed myself over and smiled at the view.

This had been the goal after all, to climb up and see a different perspective. I remembered Rachel telling me, when she had stayed with us a long time ago, that whenever I felt strong negative emotions, I should try to find a way to see things from a different perspective. Looking at what lay before me now, I knew that her words were wise and truthful.

I wrapped my arms around my legs, curled up in a ball and let the tears come. I didn't try to stop them and I didn't let them get out of control. It was just me, the view of the city and our tears. It even started to drizzle at one point, and I swayed to the beat of the songs, dancing with the wind. My tears mixed with the tears of clouds and formed enormous puddles on the roof, but I wasn't scared and I wasn't petrified. I just let the tears come and let the emotions take over, without allowing them to get out of hand.

Suddenly, when the sun was about to go down, I heard a tap on my shoulder. I turned around in surprise and instantly relaxed when I saw that it was Percy.

"Hey," he whispered. His hair was wet and hung on the sides of his head.

"Hi," I whispered.

He sat down next to me and sighed. "You know, when you said that I'd find you, I never expected it to be this difficult," he looked at me, with his green eyes.

I cracked a small smile, but it instantly faded. "Well, I wanted to be alone," I said, my voice hard. If he was going to annoy me, then he could have just left me alone.

"Annabeth, I didn't mean it like that," he replied. I could tell that he was hurt and suddenly I realized that he must have broken up officially with Calypso right now. She had been a part of his life for so long, that it was probably killing him. I felt a wave of regret for saying those words.

"I'm sorry," I whispered. I was hurting so bad, I didn't realize I was hurting him too. Because when you're hurt, all you can do is find others to hurt, to blame them, because it's easier than blaming yourself and actually having to do something about it.

"Don't be." He looked at me. "You've been through a lot." Like you haven't. He shivered before saying, "Brrr, I'm cold!"

I looked at him slowly and leaned into him, hoping my warmth would be enough. He smiled and placed his arm around me.

"I know today has been draining, but I really feel like we should talk about this..." he said.

"I know," I whispered.

"Do you forgive me?"

"What?"

"From that day. When I pushed you away..."

The memories took over my vision and I bowed my head with the traces of the pain I had felt that day. I looked up when they passed. "The question is, are you going to leave again when Paola from Italy comes to visit?"

"Who?"

"It's a joke, Percy," I smiled.

He laughed out loud and my heart fluttered once again.

He cupped my hands in his. "I'm never leaving you again, Wisegirl. Never again."

His words felt like a promise. A promise that I knew that he wouldn't turn his back on.

His green eyes stayed focused on mine. "You belong to my heart, Annabeth," he whispered. "You always have." He leaned forward and kissed my forehead.

I smiled, though the sadness rested with me, and turned to see the last rays of the sun disappear from the horizon, illuminating the city for one final minute. I leaned my head against his shoulder. I could feel him smiling as he gently placed his head over mine.

Forgiveness, I realized, is about recognizing someone's mistakes, even though sometimes they hurt you more than anything. We can't force ourselves to be okay with everything, when it's clearly not. I can't assume that the other person that hurt me won't ever hurt me again. But to live life, we must forgive others, and even more than that, we must forgive ourselves for having flaws and for making a wrong choice, because life is filled with them, and there are always second chances. It's up to us to take them.

The End

~~~

You've reached the end! Uhh thank you!?!?! I still can't believe you're here! Thank you so much for reading this story and for supporting me! This is my first ever fanfiction, as you probably noticed from the many plot holes and just disappearance of characters lol. I hope you relatively enjoyed it though! If you have any comments or tips for my writing please let me know! I'm open to constructive criticism and would love to improve my writing. Once again, THANK YOU, YOU ALL BELONG TO MY HEART <3