15. Percy

Chapter 15: Percy

~ at least a week later ~

I jumped out of the bus, and walked to the light, where I waited for the pedestrian crossing signal to turn green. I looked at the blue, rippling waves, reflecting the midday light, across the street. The sky was clear other than a couple of seagulls flying through the wind. wondered how it would feel to be a bird, to be so careless about everything, and to have so much freedom. It wouldn't be a bad life for sure. When the green light blinded his eyes, I sighed and began to walk across the street. I was absolutely dreading today. Luke had somehow convinced me to go to his party, which he had organized to be at the beach. At least Jason was going to be there.

I approached the burning sand and let out a deep exhale. The August heat was settling in, and I could feel a pool of sweat forming underneath my eyes. I quickly wiped them off and slipped off my black sandals. I didn't want to deal with drunk adolescents that already didn't like me in the first place.

I heard footsteps thumping on the wooden planks laid out to approach the ocean shore, and I turned around. To my surprise it was Annabeth Chase. "Annabeth?" I asked. She looked up and the storm in her eyes softened for a moment. "What are you doing here?" She was wearing a short white top accented with red cherries. Her long, red skirt flowed around her ankles, delicately touching them every once in a while. I could see a bright red bikini underneath her outfit.

"I am hanging out with my friends," she smiled. A sudden gust of wind blew her hair back. She looked at the picnic basket in her arms, probably for her other friend or friends. "What about you?"

I winced. "Um same...? Except they aren't really my friends."

She looked behind him to the group of teenage boys playing a game of beach soccer. "The swim team?"

"Yeah, the captain, Luke Castellan, invited my friend and I, so we had to come."

"Luke?" she asked, her voice wavering.

"Yeah, do you know him or something?"

"Or something," she replied. Her eyes were skimming over the group of reckless boys, no doubt looking for Luke.

A girl came up behind her and smiled shyly. "Hey Juniper," Annabeth smiled. "Juniper, this is Percy. Percy, Juniper," Annabeth introduced us.

"Pleasure meeting you," she smiled widely.

"You too."

Annabeth hooked her arm inside hers and began to walk away. She turned around and called out, "See you around Perce!"

My heart smiled at the nickname. "Bye Beth!" She gave me one last smile before catching up to a group of teenagers laying on the sand. I couldn't help wishing that I were with her friend group, enjoying sandwiches on a summer afternoon at the beach.

"Percy!" a familiar voice called out. I turned and met the smiling face of Leo Valdez.

"Leo? What are you doing here?" I asked, but smiled. Maybe the party wasn't going to be as bad as I thought.

"Hehe, guess what? Superman decided to invite me and my sister here. He's with her now," his eyes glinted. Leo and I had begun to call Jason Superman after he had won the school's athletic competition which involved a variety of different physical activities. Ever since, it had just stuck with us.

"Careful with the "me and" or Superman over there will lecture you for an hour about it's proper usage or something," I chuckled. Jason was leading Leo's sister, Reyna, towards us. Reyna looked as radiant and powerful as ever. Her flowy black hair was wrapped in an elaborate bun on top of her head and she was wearing a flowy, purple dress. Jason's favorite color, I thought.

"My hermana is cute, isn't she?" Leo teased.

"Well I don't doubt that that's what Jason thinks." And, of course, Jason's eyes were shining and flickering to their joined hands. Reyna seemed nonchalant towards him, but I think she liked the attention.

"Ohh, young love," Leo sighed.

"What?" I burst out laughing. He said it as though we were old men. "Don't worry, you'll find your love soon."

"I only have love for my tacos."

"I mean romantic love," I teased and ruffled his hair.

"Come on, let's let the love birds mingle. Let's go," he said. "Race ya there!" and he began to sprint off.

I laughed and called out, "you are not beating me, Leo Valdez." I ran faster, the sand jumping up to meet my eyes.

We finally reached the party, which currently involved a soccer game.

"Hey Percy, and Leo," Luke bowed his head slightly. "So glad you could make it," he smiled, the scar on his left eye crinkling with his eyes.

"Thanks for inviting us," I growled as calmly as possible. "Jason should be here soon."

"Ah yes, I see he is with Leo's sister," Luke shaded his eyes. He paused for a second and I followed his eyes. Annabeth's group. How did they know each other? And what had happened between them? "Well, he's in good hands," he smiled, refocusing his attention on us, "as are you."

I gave him a smile, just to be nice.

"I'll let you guys settle in," he grinned. You're not allowed to play in the soccer game, is what I heard instead. I shivered. This party was going to be the death of me.

Leo and I "settled in," which basically meant laying out our towels on the sand and having lunch, which was an assortment of candies. Jason and Reyna, in the meantime, had gone to the shore and were splashing each other aggressively. Leo and I watched them happily. Jason's dream was finally coming true.