10. Annabeth

Chapter 10: Annabeth

I had a busy morning. Today was officially the beginning of the summer camp's new tradition, Camp Wars, which was basically a cool and bloody-vibe name for the capture-the-flag game Piper and I were hosting. I didn't even have to guess who had chosen the name. Thalia Grace. She was just that sort of girl.

I ran to grab some water because my throat was parched after screaming and cheering on the kids. I waited behind the water fountain lost in my own world and biting my nail. It was a bad habit that I couldn't get rid of.

Somehow, though, I couldn't stop picturing Percy Jackson with his arm wrapped around Tyson. He was such a good big brother, or so Tyson told me. Even today, Tyson had told me that his brother was really sorry. After that many sorry's from the both of them, I felt a little guilty. And I think I may have overreacted.

The boy drinking out of the water fountain finally turned and I could feel my throat screaming with joy. It was finally my turn! But as I met his sea-green eyes, I stopped.

He smiled. "Hey Annabeth," he told me and stepped aside.

I couldn't hide my grin, so I turned it into a sneer. "Hey Percy Jackson."

I leaned forward, thinking he had probably gone and gulped down mouthfuls of water. It was so soothing. However, his smile kept replaying itself in my head.

"You're pretty thirsty, Wisegirl," Percy chuckled and I almost choked. He was still here. Talking to me. What was I supposed to do? Talk? Oh, hell no.

I stopped my desperate drink and nodded sheepishly. Great, Annie, I scolded myself, using the nickname I hated the most. Now, awkward silence is filling the space.

He laughed when he saw how uncomfortable I was. I soon relaxed.

"Are you here to pick up Tyson?" I asked, wiping my mouth with my bare arm, and stepped aside so the next person in line could take a sip from the fountain.

"Actually, no. I was just here with some friends." He turned back to some boys who were waving like crazy.

I laughed. "Well, it was a pleasure. Good to see you, Percy. I need to be headed home." I turned and started pulling out my earbuds.

He touched my shoulder gently and I instantly bristled. "Wait, I am also going home," he smiled. "Where do you live?"

"'Cause that's not a creepy question," I rolled my eyes, slightly teasing.

"No, I meant —"

"I know what you meant. I live right behind the community college. I think it's about due north of the park, but I need to take a bus to get there," I smiled.

"Oh, wait. Do you take the 12?" he asked.

Oh no. I really didn't want to get on a bus with Percy Jackson but it seemed as if I had no choice. "Yeah," I nodded slowly. How bad could it get?

"Cool, we can take it together!" he smiled, enthusiastically.

I smiled, and pretended like I was just as enthusiastic as him.

"So, I haven't seen you around town much," he started. I knew the question before he even asked. "Did you just move here?"

I pressed my lips in a thin line to hide my smirk. "Yeah, in the beginning of summer. I am going to be going to the local high school, as a sophomore."

His eyes lit up and my heart skipped a beat. "Oh, really? Me too! Maybe we'll get some classes together," he smiled off into the distance. My smile wavered. "Uh, I mean, so that you can tutor me," he nodded, providing reassurance that he hadn't just embarrassed himself.