33. Percy

Chapter 33: Percy

"Sunshine, come on! We're going to be late," I yelled from downstairs. We were supposed to go to a party tonight that the swim team had organized. Surprisingly, Luke had decided to do it at the "Roll the Sky" and make it a "skating party." He had allowed everyone on the team to invite anyone they wanted, so I knew this was going to be a pretty big party. Usually, I would have refused to go to such a party, but Calypso had been there when he called me and she really wanted to go, so I had no choice but to say yes.

"Coming," she called. "Okay close your eyes." I closed them, keeping myself steady by gripping the couch tightly.

"Open them," she whispered, sounding much closer. When I did, I was looking right into her eyes. I could see the thick layer of foundation that she had put on herself and I tried to mask my expression of disgust. Her eyes were winged with thick eyeliner and her mascara made her eyelashes half an inch long. She looked amazing, but I thought it was too much. I didn't really like makeup on girls when it was this extensive and obvious.

"Wow," I whispered. You look like a racoon, I wanted to cry.

"What do you think?" she giggled, gripping the buttons of my jacket.

"Very beautiful," I nodded, my eyes wide.

"Aww thank you," she flipped her hair and kissed the top of my nose. I felt a shiver run through my body. She was wearing a very tight and short dress, one that was also very showy. My eyes moved over her body, and I could feel my heart beating faster and faster.

"What about my outfit?"

"Stunning," I grinned. "As usual," I rolled my eyes in a sarcastic tone.

She burst out laughing. "You're so funny Percy."

"Come on let's go outside," I winked.

"Ooooh," she raised her eyebrows.

"Come on mom!" I called and held her hand, running towards the car. My mom was dropping us off.

I could hear Calypso laughing at me as she chased after me. I turned and ran behind a tree in our backyard so it would be harder to spy on us. "Now, where were we?" I asked.

"Going to the party?" she giggled.

"Ahh yes, but first I'd love to kiss the fine lady that stands in front of me," I teased. She remained silent. "May I?" I asked, realizing that she hadn't understood my question.

"Oh of course," she blinked. We both moved forward, our noses bumping and lips touching. Her slender hands brushed my neck and I growled deep in my throat. Her touch set my skin ablaze. She moved her lips to my cheeks, my nose, my forehead and I could feel my hands shaking.

"Now let's get to that party," she said, pulling away.

"Oh fine," I rolled my eyes. We rushed to the car before my mother could come outside and realize where we had been hiding.

The drive there was filled with small-talk about school, friends and sports. There wasn't anything substantial and I was a little deluded in us. As we approached the building, I couldn't help but think of the time I had come here with Annabeth, to release some of her stress. Her grey eyes had been shining and glittering and she was somehow gracefully clumsy when she skated. Gods, I was so in love then. I smiled with the thought that we had almost kissed and how my lips ached to touch hers.

"What are you smiling about?" Calypso giggled, leaning her head on my shoulder as we walked.

The happiness of the old memories dissipated in less than a second. "Oh nothing, I had a lot of birthday parties here, and I was remembering myself being happy," I lied.

"Ahhh," her voice trailed off, and she was clearly not interested in what I had just said. "Oh look! There's Isa!" she laughed and ran over to join her best friend, Isabelle, or Isa and her male friends. I felt a pang of jealousy and ran over to accompany her.

"Hey dude," some of the guys said. They were taller than me, their eyes sunken. They were on the Varsity swim team, but they never came to practice, I realized. The stereotypical jocks.

"Sup!" I smiled brightly. They looked at each other, already teasing me. I rolled my eyes.

One of them put his hands on Calypso's shoulder and I felt my breath quicken. She giggled, delighted with the attention. "Sorry, but I'm with Percy now," she winked, but her face held another mysterious emotion that I wasn't able to decipher.

"Yep she is," I grabbed Calypso's hand. "Let's get some skates, Sunshine," I smiled.

"Yes!" she clapped her hands and began to follow me. "See you later!" she called back, waving.

We entered the building and I recognized the same guy who had helped Annabeth and I here a couple months ago.

"What size shoe are you?" I asked.

"I think a 7 and a half, in American size," she sighed, sitting on one of the couches.

"Wow your feet are so tiny," I laughed, before I realized I had said the exact same thing to Annabeth. I smiled sadly when I remembered how she'd still threatened me afterwards.

"Yes well, they're the perfect size for dancing," she yawned.

"Size 7.5 and 10 in mens," I asked, setting my hands on the counter, reflecting on the differences between Calypso and Annabeth.

"Here you go," he said, dumping the skates onto the counter.

I mustered a quick "thank you" before moving towards Calypso.

"Let's try them on, Sunshine. They should feel a little big."

"I know. I always used to go skating in Paris," she replied, and placed her hands on her knees.

"May I, madam?" I laughed, getting down on one knee.

"You must, monsieur," she said flirtatiously.

I winked and slipped her foot into the skate. "Perfect," I whispered.

"Kind of like you," she giggled, brushing her fingers in my hair.

"Sunshine—" I warned.

"No one's looking," she whispered and brought my lips to hers in an extremely passionate kiss. I could taste the lipstick on her lips and I knew I'd have to wipe it off.

My eyes opened and suddenly I noticed Annabeth standing dangerously close to Luke, as they entered the building. Her eyes were annoyingly disappointed as she observed me kissing Calypso, and Luke was looking at her with a happy expression while he talked to the swim team. She was wearing a loose, long skirt and a long-sleeved grey shirt. She looked—

"What's wrong?" Calypso interrupted my thoughts.

I blinked, and I realized that I had separated away from the kiss. "Let's skate," I tried to sound upbeat and grabbed her hand, pulling her close to my body.

"Okay," she laughed, poking my cheek.

When we began to skate, I realized that her dancing made her nearly an expert, and she was even capable of doing flips and turns. I smiled brightly, with the music booming overhead and skated faster, holding her tightly and trying to forget about Annabeth's bright smile and how I wish it had been for me.