Chapter Twenty Four

I spent an hour of my morning in the HR department of Margot Barnes filling out paperwork. I got my picture taken for my badge and a brand new Macbook computer. It felt nice to feel the weight of it in the new bag I'd purchased specifically to carry it. I had a job. Not just any job, my dream job. Margot asked me to start in two weeks. It would've been earlier but she was leaving for a vacation and according to her assistant, Margot wanted to be there personally to mentor me.

I left after that. There was nothing better for me to hear.

Dori was just getting our bags into the rental car when I got home. She smiled when she saw my newly purchased bag weighted down,

"Look at you..."

I couldn't stop or tone down the smile on my face,

"C'mon...we gotta get going or we'll be late."

She slid into the passengers seat next to me,

"So...everything go ok?" She asked as I pulled out of our parking lot to head up to the resort for Sandy's wedding.

"Yeah. I start in two weeks. Margot wants to mentor me."

Dori raised her eyebrows,

"Well, well...quite the job for the freshman photographer."

"Dad was really happy."

"You called dad?" She asked, sounding slightly shocked.

I nodded,

"Yeah." I shrugged, "Called him on the way home. He said Margot is the most respected name in the business. He can't wait to see what I do when I start."

She raised her eyebrows even higher,

"Wow."

"Well I have to start somewhere with them don't I?"

She seemed to realize her own emotions, nodding vigorously,

"Yes. Yes."

We rode in silence for a bit, the resort would be about an hour's drive. I had to hand it to Sandy, this place was remote. It was beautiful but it would be a hike to get there.

Dori took in a breath, I could tell she had something on her mind. I suspected I knew what that something was but I didn't really want to discuss it so I kept quiet. My sister never really pushed me to talk about things I didn't want to discuss but when she couldn't keep her mouth shut about something, she usually didn't.

She turned her head to look at me,

"Are you gonna be alright this weekend?"

I nodded,

"Sure...why?" She frowned but didn't respond. I shrugged, "I'm an adult. Besides it's his best friends wedding. He's not gonna make a scene." I said with a slight giggle.

"Sylv..." She whispered. She always hated it when I would laugh things off.

So for once in my life, I didn't minimize my own emotions. I shrugged,

"I'm gonna...avoid him like the plague."

Dori stared back at me, seemingly processing what I'd just said. I'm sure she was expecting me to answer differently. She nodded and turned her head back to the front of the car,

"Alright..."

--------------------

I'd done my fair share of research on Sandy's venue. I needed to know the grounds and what I wanted to get in these pictures. Plus I needed to be able to tell Dori what to get with her own camera. My sister was pretty good with her own shutter skills these days. I liked to think I helped her find her eye.