Chapter Twelve

Thankfully the rejection had subsided by the time I woke up the next morning. I was still shirtless, so was he, and I was still cuddled into his side. When I stirred, he did too. I felt his lips press to my forehead and then he let out a soft groan,

"What do you want for breakfast?"

I pinched myself a bit. Honestly this wasn't happening to me. I kept expecting someone to jump out and tell me I was on a TV show.

He took a breath,

"You awake?"

I cleared my throat. Tears sprung to my eyes. The way he'd said one simple word last night before we fell asleep echoed in my ears. I felt him shift. I quickly put my hands over my face as tears slipped down my cheeks.

He was hovering over me. I felt his fingers wrap around my wrist,

"Hey..." He said quietly. He lifted one of my hands to his mouth and pressed a soft kiss to my skin, "You alright?"

I nodded,

"Yeah."

Before I knew it I was full on sobbing. I could feel his distress at watching me cry but I couldn't feel anything but complete embarrassment at the moment. I knew why I was crying, I just didn't want to tell him.

But I knew he wouldn't allow me off that bed without talking.

I took a few deep breaths before I took my hands down off my face. I refused to look him in the eyes. I was so ashamed for this display,

"Sorry." I whispered.

He shook his head,

"I don't need an apology." He kissed my fingers again, "Can you tell me?"

The request was so earnest I wanted to cry all over again. Because of that, I decided to try. I lifted my hands to my eyes to wipe away what had to be mascara all over my face.

"Ugh..." I breathed, "I hate crying."
He pushed some of my hair behind my ear,

"Crying is ok..."

I finally focused on his eyes,

"What you said last night..." I sniffed, "About me not being able to have kids." He nodded, "This seems so early for us to be having this conversation but..." I averted my eyes down, "Then it doesn't." I focused on his eyes again, "I know you want kids." I finished in a whisper.

He stared back at me, blinking a few times. I instantly felt stupid. Had I made a mistake? Probably. I tended to always make some kind of mistake.

He shrugged,

"I have to be honest."

My heart dropped.

"I wanna be with you, Sylvie." He said it with such conviction it made my heart flutter. This time it was him averting his eyes, "And if you feel the same...you will sacrifice a lot to be with me." He finally met my gaze again, "There is nothing about you that I don't want. Nothing that doesn't fascinate or intrigue me. There is no part of you that I don't find amazing." He took a breath, "This may seem fast to you and I get that. So I need you to understand...this moves as fast or as slow as you need it to."

My eyes were riveted to his. No one had ever said these words, or anything like them, to me before.

There wasn't a single word that highlighted any flaw, including the fact that I can't have kids. It honestly didn't matter to him.

I cuddled into him again,

"Can we do pancakes?"

He kissed the top of my head,