Chapter Sixteen

When I woke up the next morning, the bed was empty next to me. I was a little more than shocked that Harry was able to get up out of the bed without me noticing. I quickly pulled on some socks and a hoodie before searching the house for him. He was nowhere to be found. While standing in the kitchen, chewing my lip, I noticed the door to the basement was open. Why it hadn't occurred to me he was in the studio was beyond me.

I came downstairs the stairs and around the corner. Harry was slumped in a chair, twisting a pen between his fingers while he swiveled back and forth.

I could feel the stress coming off his body. I had never seen him so folded into himself and alone.

I turned to walk up the stairs. I felt like this wasn't my place.

But something stopped me. He was alone. I knew that feeling well. I hated it. I wanted nothing more than for someone to reach out when I was in one of those moods.

I turned back around and I took a few more steps into the room. I felt such compassion for his state of mind, it was overwhelming. I pulled my hands into the sleeves of my hoodie,

"Harry?"

He seemed startled as he sat up in the chair. He ran a hand down his face while he took a deep breath,

"Hey..." He said softly.

I took a few more steps,

"I'm sorry." I apologized, "I didn't...I shouldn't-"

"It's ok." He answered.

"How long have you been down here?"

Harry glanced around the room,

"An hour maybe. Thought I'd give it a go..."

I reached out to squeeze his hand,

"Anything?"

He averted his eyes to the floor like he was ashamed of it,

"No." He whispered.

All of the pain he felt became very real to me. I slid my arms around his waist, laid my head against his chest and I held him. I knew the desperation and fear. It was crippling.

Harry pulled back gently,

"Hey..." He said softly, "Come with me. I have something for you."

"Wh-what?" I asked in shock as he pulled me upstairs. I shook my head, "Harry, I don't...you can't..." He pulled me into the front room and then he stopped, seemingly having heard none of my protests. My eyes followed where he was looking where a treasure trove of cameras was sitting on the coffee table.

I did a double take between him and the table, shock sucking every thought out of my head. I rushed to them, reaching out to grab one of them as I studied it closely,

"Harry..." I breathed, "What'd you do?"

"They're good right? I spent a lot of time researching." He responded.

I looked up at him and then back down at the cameras on the table,

"Harry...these are...this is..." I swallowed, "Thousands of dollars of equipment." I finally finished.

I looked up at Harry to see him confused,

"That a yes?" He asked.

I shook my head,

"I can't...take this." I felt my hands start to shake, "It's...it's too much. You've given me enough. I can't-"

He quickly pulled me into his arms. He pressed his lips to my forehead, shushing me softly. I buried my face into his chest. It was so overwhelming. He was so thoughtful all the time. I felt unworthy of such adoration.