Chapter Four

When I was little and I was stressed out or confused or upset, I would organize my Barbie dolls.  My mother used to brag to the other mothers that she never had to ask me to clean my room.  Everything was always in its place. 

As I got older, Barbie dolls were replaced by pictures.  I had taken almost 100,000 pictures since I'd picked up a camera and it would take me less than 5 minutes to find one.  I had them all numbered and cross referenced and written down in my trusty journal.  Dori pressured me into digitizing everything constantly.  She always made mention of some kind of natural disaster destroying my life's work.

And she says I'm the morbid one.

There was a knock on my door.  I barely heard it.  Once I was focused on my pictures it took an act of God...or Dori...to get me out of it. 

My sister poked her head in the door, the moment she saw my pictures everywhere she pulled her eyebrows together,

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, why?"

She stepped all the way inside, careful not to step on any pictures,

"You are organizing pictures.  You only do this when you're upset."

I frowned,

"I do not.  Besides I needed to do this."

"Why did you need to do this?"

"Because I'm gonna go to the school and develop the next roll."

Dori sighed,

"I don't know why you just don't-"

"Sh!"  I stopped her before she said anything else, "I'm not going there.  Besides, they tore it down."

She knelt down, her elbows across her knees as she watched me,

"Ya know...he's nice. If you'd give him a chance."
"I'm not talking about him."  I answered as I kept my eyes on my pictures.

Dori opened her mouth to say something when the text tone for my phone went off.  I leaned over to grab my phone, stopping when I saw the message.  It was from a number not in my phone but I knew who it was from.

Looking forward to tonight. I hope you're hungry.

How the-

Wait.

I looked up at my sister.  She was stretching her legs after having knelt for too long,

"What?"

"It was you." 

She looked down at me,

"What was me?"

I stood up,

"You gave him my phone number?"

Dori's eyes widened as she finally realized what I was saying.  She held her hands out,

"Sylvie-"

"How could you do that?  I never said you could do that?  Isn't your generation all about consent?"

She pulled her eyebrows together,

"You're two years older than I am."

I tossed my phone on the bed,

"Dori, you completely crossed the line."

"I knew he was interested.  And I knew you wouldn't pick up on it.  So I slipped him our address and your phone number.  Why is that bad?"

"He could be a serial killer!"

"Right...pop star serial killer...it's like a bad fan fiction."

"You knew nothing about him.  You have this idea he's this perfect prince charming because you see the pretty image he projects."