Chapter Nine

It was two more days before I heard a word from Harry. By the third day I was successfully done caring.

I hoped.

I still used the dark room. I had to. If I was going to get through this interview with Margot Barnes I had to put my best foot forward and that involved the best pictures I could take. So far I had done well. Dori was blown away and she was by far an even worse critic of my stuff than I was.

My calm was the dark room. It didn't matter it's location or that Harry could walk in at any moment. I barely thought about him at all when I was in there. I was solely focused on the images I had captured coming to life on photo paper.

Would I ever be as good as Imogen Cunningham? Dare to dream. The bar she set would always be something I would strive to reach. But I was satisfied with what I'd created. In awe of myself, even. I guess I worked well under pressure.

I saw my phone light up as one of my pictures came to life. I wiped my hands clean of any wayward chemicals before I grabbed it.

Harry's name stared back at me with a three word text.

I've missed you

I felt anger bubble up from my toes.

Douchebag.

I set my phone down without answering.

My phone lit up again a few moments later. Harry again.

My place tomorrow night? Dinner? 7:30? I have so much to tell you

I snorted. I'm sure he did.

I shook my head. I couldn't abide his arrogance. Did he really think he'd pulled the wool over my eyes? How stupid did he think I was?
And then it dawned on me. He did think I was stupid. How on earth would he have ever expected me to be in this room without Sandy realizing someone else was here was beyond me. Did he expect us to live with him together? Some plural relationship? That may work for some but it didn't for me.

I grabbed my phone. It was time to teach Mr. Styles a lesson.

Sounds great. Can't wait. I replied

I shoved my phone back into my bag. I couldn't wait.

---------------------

Friday came quickly. I decided to head to the dark room early. Harry wasn't there which was probably better. It would help me to calm down before tonight's performance. I needed to keep my wits and not let his stupid attractive face get in the way of my goal.

What was my goal? I wasn't sure yet.

I wasn't really a drinker but if I was going to do this without stumbling all over my words tonight I would need some liquid courage. The cheap bottle of wine I'd picked up on the way to Harry's house was now almost half gone.

I definitely needed to slow down.

And eat.

The knock at the door sent my heart into my throat.

Well, here we go.

Harry opened the door a few moments later. The smile that stretched over his face made my heart hurt. He really was happy to see me.

He came towards me, his hands taking mine,

"I saw the light on." It seemed like he was out of breath, "I'm so happy you're here."

I smiled in response, the best fake smile ever. Wow, maybe I should've tried acting myself,

"Just getting some pictures developed."