Chapter One

If you're looking for a witty opening or a cute quip or a profound statement about life this is not the story for you.  I'm neither witty or cute or profound.  I'm as ordinary as they come, painfully so.  I've always felt out of step and different.  Like I wasn't really living my life but rather just along for the ride.  Which makes sense considering I can't make a decision to save my life.  I am the definition of the word "directionless".

Today, I was hoping to change that.  After months of disaster interviews for jobs I didn't really want anyway, I found the perfect job for me.  This was going to change everything.  It had to.

"Hi,"  I greeted the frazzled blonde at the reception desk, "I'm Sylvie Frank.  I have a-"

"You're in the wrong building."  She interrupted as she answered another phone call, "Margot Barnes?  Hold please."  She tapped a button and then looked up at me, obviously annoyed, "What?"

"Uh...um."  I fumbled around for my phone in my purse, finally wrapping my fingers around it.  I then fumbled for the words I needed, "I was told this building-"

"No,"  She interrupted again, "Had you read your email you would have known it said the building next door."

I glanced out the window behind her where the skies had opened up.  It was pouring rain.

"Um...I-it's raining..."

She glanced behind her,

"So it is."  She said as she turned back around and answered another call.

By the time I made it to the other building, I was soaked...and late.  The white shirt my sister, Dori, had loaned me was totally transparent now to show the black bra I'd worn underneath it and my black panty hose were ripped to shreds after I'd slipped on the sidewalk outside.

The receptionist at this office was far nicer but I didn't know if that was because she was actually nicer or because when she'd looked up to see me, I looked like hell with mascara running down my face.

She cleared her throat,

"Uh...you're late."

I nodded,

"I know.  I went to the wrong building."

"She's not happy."  She informed me as she led me down the hallway.

What a way to set someone at ease for their interview,

"Ms. Barnes, you're 11:00 is here." 

"Finally!"  I heard in response as I slipped past the receptionist into the office.  The moment she saw me, she made an audible gasp.

I cleared my throat,

"I'm sorry I'm late, ma'am." 

Margot Barnes was the premiere photography firm in London.  Since I'd picked up a camera and taken my first photo I'd dreamt of working here.  The fact that I'd actually gotten a call back for an interview had been a small miracle in itself.  I had been so nervous all morning that I hadn't eaten which had resulted in nausea that I'd never felt in my life.

She raised her eyebrows,

"Ma'am?" 

Margot Barnes was in her early 60s but she looked to be in her early 40s.  She was sophisticated and put together and so intimidating that it the nausea rumbled in my stomach causing a small burp to bubble up in my throat.  I swallowed it down.

She took a breath,

"Alright then...since you were late we only have a few minutes before I have to be at another meeting."  She reached forward.  I stared down at her expectant hands in confusion.  She sighed as she pulled her hand back, "Your photos, Ms. Frank."