Chapter Twenty Five

Harry met my gaze and the whole world fell away. I could hear nothing but the beat of my heart and the rush of blood through my veins. Every feeling I had for him came raging through me. I wanted to run into his arms. I wanted to slap him across the face. I was mad at him and I missed him intensely, all at the same time.

He broke our link first, turning to help Sandy with zipping up her dress. I was harshly reminded why I was there and so I put my camera to my face and I did my job.

Sandy turned to look at me, completely decked out in her dress, flowers and veil. She looked so beautiful. I pulled the camera down from my face,

"Wow..." I breathed.

I always wanted to be one of those people who thought weddings were unnecessary. That in the year 2021 we could do away with such antiquated ideas of how couples lived. But I wasn't. I loved weddings. I loved that two people had decided to commit themselves to each other. Sure, divorces were a thing but I always expected to be one of those people who wasn't going to experience that.

If I was going to fall in love. It would be forever.

Just like the cheesy song says.

Well. I got half of it right. I did fall in love. But it didn't end up being forever.

I followed the wedding party out of the room towards the spot where Sandy would emerge from the house and take her steps towards the grove of trees where she and Charles would marry. I threw myself into my job, I stayed focused on the wedding. If I hadn't, I would've ended up doing something I regretted. And considering my emotions were ping-ponging back and forth between being angry and not being angry I couldn't decide what that might've been.

But I did know one thing. Whether I was angry or not angry, the intense connection I had to Harry was there. I loved him. Regardless.

Dori caught my gaze as the music started. I gave her a reassuring nod and put my camera back up to my face.

-----------------------

I had to hand it to Sandy and Charles, their vows had everyone bawling. It made for great pictures. It's always fun to catch people in the throes of emotion and capture it in a photograph. It's one of my favorite parts of being a shutterbug.

I took my time with the pictures. I rarely ever thought about how the pictures would turn out because more often than not I ended up being disappointed but I knew when I developed these they wouldn't. A sense of pride washed over me. Being proud of myself was foreign.

It was almost nine o'clock. My shoes had come off hours ago. Dori had them near the table she'd commandeered for us to eat dinner. I spotted her sitting there and made my way over to take the chair next to her.

I set my camera down with a deep sigh.

I had survived it. Once the ceremony had ended and the dancing got started, things got a little rowdy.

Dori pushed around the icing on her piece of wedding cake,

"Well...you did it. How does it feel?"

I leaned down to rub at my feet,

"My feet are killing me."

I glanced around the room. I was looking for Harry though I would never admit it. I had realized about an hour ago that I hadn't seen him awhile,

"He left." I heard my sister say.

I glanced over at her,

"Who?"