❝ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ɴɪɴᴇᴛᴇᴇɴ ❞

_______________

i just might love you forever,
i hope you warm up to me...
______________

It felt as if a knife were being twisted in his chest.

"Don't want you... to turn into... Alex..."

The words echoed endlessly inside his brain. He couldn't sleep. He thought that falling asleep would be the easiest thing in the world with (Y/N) in his arms, but all he could think about was the fear in her eyes, as she drifted off.

Daniel knew this wouldn't be easy on her, but he had no idea how much her being afraid of him would hurt.

"I'll never hurt you like that," he mumbled to her unconscious form. "You don't have to be afraid... I just wanna love you the way you deserve." He pulled her body closer to him, and buried his face in her shoulder. "And I want you to love me back... That's not too much to ask, right? To love and be loved? I know I don't deserve you, but... I promise to make you happy. Will you let me?"

There was no response, of course. He let out a sigh.

"I'll make sure you let me," he concluded. "I'll be your only source of comfort, until you completely rely on me. And then you'll be happy. I just want to make you happy, like you make me..."

He wasn't sure why he was saying this. Maybe (Y/N) was right, and he was crazy. But he knew it would be a while before she would be this calm with him when she was awake. He just wanted to be able to talk to her, like he always did, but she was too upset to listen right now.

"That's okay..." he whispered to her. "I meant it when I told you I'd wait for you for as long as necessary."

It was true. There wasn't a single thing he wouldn't do for her, outside of let her leave. He'd battle entire armies for her smile. He'd fight hurricanes for her laugh. He'd do absolutely anything she asked just to hear her say, "I love you" again.

And he could wait. He could wait for her. Even if it was killing him.

As the sun slowly rose, and light began peeking through the blinds of his bedroom windows, Daniel finally gave up on the idea of getting any rest. He reluctantly released (Y/N) from his hold, and stepped out of the bedroom, locking the door behind him, before he headed downstairs, to the kitchen.

He was almost done preparing breakfast - pancakes with homemade caramel syrup - when he heard a pounding come from upstairs. Muffled yells seemed to come from his bedroom, and with a sigh, he walked back up the stairs, towards the source of the noise.

He unlocked the door, and was immediately greeted with (Y/N)'s angry face. "You can't keep me here!" She declared, and made a move to leave the room.

Daniel stopped her. "Yes, I can," he said. "And I will."

"Why are you doing this?"

"I already told you, it's because I love you."

"No one who loved me would do this," she said, the sense of betrayal she obviously felt now replacing the tone of anger her voice previously held. "You - you took me from my home, you killed my friends! I just..." she shook her head, tears pricking the corners of her eyes. "We were happy together, Daniel... You didn't have to do this."

"But you were gonna break up with me," he protested, his voice filled with the same panic he had felt when he first listened in on their conversation. "You were gonna leave me... I couldn't let you leave me!"

"What are you---?"

"That night. You told Eliza that you thought it was weird that I asked you to move in with me. And then she told you about the emails," he explained, tears filling his own eyes. "I couldn't let her take you away from me! I - I love you! I love you, and you love me, too, don't you?!"

"Daniel---"

"Don't you?!" he repeated, feeling his heart pounding in his chest. He felt so much panic at the thought that she didn't love him. He needed her. He needed her more than air or water or anything. He needed her to love him.

"...No," (Y/N) answered, and Daniel could've sworn he felt his heart crumbling. "I could never love someone who's hurt me this bad."

"(Y/N)... I know you think what I did was unnecessary, but I had to. You're the only good thing in my life. Sometimes I think you're the last precious thing on Earth. You're just... You're perfect. And I can't let you go... I just can't."

He stared into her beautiful, (E/C) eyes with his own dark blue ones, and he saw what looked like pity. She looked at him like he was broken. Like there was something really wrong with him. But... there wasn't. He was just a boy in love. Was that so bad? Was it so awful to want to love and be loved?

She didn't understand. But he would make her.

He pressed his lips against her's, feeling almost desperate. But she pushed him away.

"What the fuck?" (Y/N) yelled, taking a few steps back.

"I love you..." Daniel mumbled. "And I know you love me, too. You... Y-You just need time, is all. You just need time to think. And I'll give it to you." He stepped closer, and (Y/N) tried to dodge him, but she wasn't quick enough.

He picked her up, and carried her to the closet, where he gently set her down, before locking her inside.

"Daniel!" came the confused and panicked voice of his darling. He stood there for many moments, as she began pounding on the door. "Daniel! Let me out!"

"This for your own good, angel," he assured her.

"Wait! You - You can't just leave me in here! I - I'm claustrophobic You have to let met out!" When he gave no response, she continued. "Daniel! Please! Let me out!"

Daniel hesitantly began walking away, but her shouting continued.

"Why are you doing this?" she cried. "Please, just let me out!" She pounded against the door, and he briefly wondered if she was going to break down the door. But the pounding stopped.

He stepped a little closer, and heard the sounds of her weeping.

And for a moment, he wondered if this was really the right thing to do...

But the doubt left as quickly as it came, and he walked out of the bedroom, leaving her to cry alone in the dark.