❝ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ ❞

_______________

i never wanted anything
from you, except everything
you had, and what was left
after that, too...
_______________

Doctor Camila Lopez walked through the halls of the hospital, her black heels clicking with every step. She entered the room of the next patient she had to visit today. This one was a young woman who had been the victim of a home invasion. Her throat had been cut; it was a miracle that she survived.

She gave a warm smile, as she entered the room. The patient was in the process of falling asleep, but she woke up when the doctor came in.

"Hello, Ms. Choi," she greeted. "I'm just here to do a quick check up."

The patient nodded, and sat up. As the check-up continued, a detective entered the room. He was a tall man with ginger hair, a face full of freckles, and dark brown eyes that seemed kind.

"Hi, I'm Detective Long, and I'm here to ask some questions about the night of the home invasion."

Camila shook her head. "Absolutely not," she said in a serious voice. "Her vocal chords are still healing; if she puts too much stress on them, she could lose the ability to speak."

"Please," the detective said. "It could be a matter of life and death."

She sighed, and glanced back at the patient, before she hesitantly nodded. "Just a few," she said.

Detective Long took a seat on the chair beside the bed, and gave an assuring smile. "Can you start by telling me your name?"

"Cho-Hee Choi." Her voice was rough, but she still spoke clearly enough to be understood.

He nodded. "And can you tell me everything you remember about the night of the invasion?"

Cho-Hee nodded. "It started out with my friend getting texts from her boyfriend. She got them all day, but she ignored them. She made dinner, and then went to her room, while me and my girlfriend watched a movie - I can't remember what it was... I heard the windows break, and this weird gas came in... And I saw Daniel - my friend's boyfriend come in. He..." tears filled her eyes. "He killed my girlfriend, and then he slit my throat. That's the last thing I remember."

Camila handed her patient a tissue, and Cho-Hee mumbled a quiet, "Thanks..."

"And you're sure it was your friend's boyfriend who did this...?" The Detective said.

Cho-Hee nodded.

"Do you know his full name?"

"Daniel... West, I believe," she answered. Her voice was growing more and more hoarse, and Doctor Lopez gave the detective a look that let him know to wrap up.

He nodded, and stood up. "Thank you for your time, Ms. Choi," he said. "I wish you a speedy recovery." As he left the room, he turned, and gave a brief smile to the doctor. He walked down the halls, leaving Doctor Lopez alone with her patient.

"I'm sorry about your girlfriend," Camila said, sitting down in the chair the detective previously occupied. "I can't imagine how hard that must be."

"I... was going to propose," Cho-Hee muttered, tears pricking the corners of her deep brown eyes. "I bought a ring and everything..."

"I'm sure she would have loved it."

She nodded, wiping the tears from her eyes.

"Do you know what happened to your friend?" Doctor Lopez asked.