Negotiations

Of all the reactions available to him, Soren never expected himself to start laughing; disbelievingly, but laughing. It wasn't a heartfelt chuckle, but it was more or less a breathy exhalation spasming with the shaking of his body. He looked down shaking his head, as if this motion would dismiss his initial response. Ashlynn's silence denied him the relief he so desperately wanted. He glanced back up at Ashlynn, an amused and stunned expression on his face.

"That's not really up to me, is it," Soren stated. His confusion rubbed off on Ashlynn as she stared at him for several seconds. "You're joking, right? I don't really have a say in what happens to me at this point."

"Why not?" asked Ashlynn, a slight hesitation in her voice. "Is it because I'm bigger than you?" Soren was silent and watched as it sank into Ashlynn's mind. "You think you're trapped here?"

"I... am though, right? I mean..." Soren's voice faltered as Ashlynn cut in.

"Sorry, sweetie, but you're the one who came back here after I watched you leave. If you had the strength to stand or, heaven forbid, if you asked for help from me, I wouldn't stop you and would do what I could. So, whatever this 'trapped' feeling you're getting is all on you pal; and I don't appreciate you accusing me of being some kind of people snatcher or captor."

Soren couldn't believe his ears for a moment. [She can't be serious. She has me in a box and my leg is broken. But...] Soren glanced back up into her eyes. Try as he might, he could sense no ill will, no malice or menacing presence, coming from Ashlynn. His gut feeling which had protected him for so many years was either sicker than the rest of him or she was telling the truth. Both were equally possible.

[But... I did come back here; and she's taken care of me twice now for who knows how long. Would she really let me leave? Again? No. What if it's a trick? I don't want to make her mad, but that would probably be the quickest way to determine her intentions.]

"So, if I asked, you would help me leave?" asked Soren, pushing himself up slightly against the box. Ashlynn shrugged.

"I don't see why not," she replied. Soren bit his lip. He needed to think quickly to ensure his relative protection.

"And, if I asked, I could lay some ground rules?" asked Soren hesitantly. Ashlynn nodded. "And you'd follow them?" Ashlynn partially rolled her eyes and sighed, an action which made Soren's hair stand on end in preparation for whatever was going on in her mind. He flinched back involuntarily as she looked at him again.

"Yes," she muttered. "So, what are these ground rules?" Soren's heart was pounding against his chest at this point. His breath halted in his throat. [I can't make too many, or else she won't want to abide by them. Hit the essentials. I can do this.]

"First," he said, summoning what courage he could. "You can't ask anything about me. What I am, where I'm from, nothing." Soren watched Ashlynn's eyes narrow, but she didn't say anything.

"Second, don't... touch or grab me, please." Just the thought sent chills down his spine. As Ashlynn opened her mouth and raised a finger to interject, Soren felt a compulsion to continue. "At least!... not without permission." Ashlynn closed her mouth, curling her finger back, and set it in her lap silently.

[She's losing patience already; or, at the very least, she doesn't like the rules. I have to wrap this up quickly. Blast it! I wish I had more time.]

"Finally, when the time comes, you let me go on my way – wherever that may be." Soren knew there were too many Borrower rules broken at this point to care about them – speaking to a human being the primary one. Be that as it may, the circumstances could not be changed. Soren, body tense, watched as Ashlynn leaned forward and placed her head in her hand as her elbow rested on her knee.