Goodbye

The next few days were odd and dreary for Ashlynn and the boys. Low hanging clouds of spring loomed in the air threatening rain. They spent their days mostly in silence, though Ashlynn did eventually convince them to go out into the living area, rest on the couch, and watch a movie on the television.

Dorian and Rey had only caught glimpses of shows through the ceiling tiles and floorboards when they were at their old place, and never did they get to see it from front to finish in one sitting. They picked out snacks that weren't stale and had an entire sofa cushion to themselves with a blanket and everything. The thoughtful gesture led to a night they cherished and remembered forever.

Though it in no way compensated for the events of the week prior, it did bring something that was sorely needed – family.

While the night was fantastic and seemed to last forever, Soren couldn't help but feel this nagging tug in the back of his mind. He was better, leg restored to almost back to normal other than the occasional ache. His two younger brothers were with him again, and the spark in their eyes, though dulled because of recent events, had returned. This time with Ashlynn was precious and quite literally life saving, but this wasn't how things were supposed to be.

The Borrower rules, though broken, were clear – they needed to leave. Soren didn't want to leave and finally admitted to himself that he felt attached to Ashlynn. A genuine friendship was there between them, and just the thought of leaving was heart crushing. Soren justified his resolution to leave in that they didn't need to leave the building and they could, in theory, "accidentally" be seen by Ashlynn again while they were out borrowing. Nothing really stopped them from occasionally seeing their human friend.

But, would that be right? At least, in accordance with those sacred rules? What if another Borrower family moved in and Ashlynn noticed them, revealing she knew of the Borrower existence? Soren didn't fear what Ashlynn would do, but it would undoubtedly lead to panic for that family.

He wasn't sure which route he wanted to go, but there was one thing he knew for certain. If they didn't go back to a true Borrower life, they would be no better than being pets. Ashlynn would never see them that way – Soren knew that; however, there was pride in being able to take care of oneself and one's family. Plus, what would happen to Dorian and Rey if something happened to Soren and Ashlynn went somewhere else to live? She may take them with her, but would they ever want to live on their own? Same scenario.

After the movie ended, they all turned in for the evening to sleep – all except Soren. The eldest Borrower spent half an hour gathering up his belongings in his pack and another twenty arranging bags for Dorian and Rey. It wasn't going to be an easy conversation, but it needed to be done. At least an hour was spent lying beside his brothers staring up at the box springs and the frame thinking about what he was going to say to both his brothers and to Ashlynn.

He broached the subject once before with Ashlynn and it led to a tense conversation and, ultimately, she said she would be fine with whatever decision they made but it would make her sad to see them leave.

We won't be gone gone. Not really. We'll still be around and can still talk if we want. Thought Soren as he heard his brothers mutter something in their sleep and drag the covers in their direction away from him. They need to learn how to be proper Borrowers. Mom would've wanted it that way.

Eventually, Soren slipped into sleep and woke up the next morning to Ashlynn's alarm. He watched her feet swing over the edge of the bed, the bedframe creaking in protest above them.

Now is as good of a time as any to prepare her.

Soren pulled what little blankets were still covering him, stretched, and walked up to the edge of the bed just as Ashlynn stood up and began to tiptoe her way to the door.