Offering

Rey didn't remember drifting off to sleep. What he did remember was the rhythmic thumping in Soren's chest and his calm, deep breaths. It was hypnotizing and soothing. Rey stirred, awaking to the same sounds that lulled him to sleep. Soren remained in the same position Rey had fallen asleep to as did Dorian.

He was the only one awake. That being the case, Rey's thoughts began swirling in his mind.

For the past two weeks, Rey didn't know what really happened to Soren. He didn't know if he was captured and injured or if he was even alive. It was a scary feeling – terrifying even. Listening to his oldest brother breathe reminded him that Soren was okay.

For the past two weeks, he didn't know how they were going to survive – especially without Soren. Rey was young – he knew that – but it didn't take much for him to see Soren's efforts were far greater when compared to those of his dad. He hated that the thought of his dad not knowing what to do crossed his mind. It made him ask questions.

What would they do without their dad? How would they survive? If Soren never came back, if he didn't escape, what were he and Dorian going to do? The thought made him shrink and whimper quietly to himself.

For the past two weeks after seeing the human with Soren, Rey wondered what Soren was going through. Was he okay? Was the human hurting him? Was the human changing Soren? Was he ever coming back to them? At least, would he come back the same as when he left?

Soren stirred, inhaling deeply and pulled he and Dorian closer. Even though they were in a human's room – discovered and injured – at least they were together.

A terrible thought crept into Rey's mind. How long would the human let them stay together?

Soren didn't seem worried about the human. Was that because he changed? Or was it because he had worked out some kind of deal with her? Rey knew Soren would do whatever it took to keep them safe. Would he make a deal with the human to stay as long as she let him and Dorian go? There was no doubt in Rey's mind and he refused to let that happen.

If the last two weeks told Rey anything, it was that they needed Soren if they wanted to stand a chance in their dangerous world. He made up his mind. He wasn't going to leave Soren again, and he wasn't going to let someone take his oldest brother away.

Rey pushed himself up carefully and looked around the room. No human. As quietly as he could, he slipped out from Soren's grasp and headed to the edge of the table. He found a hook and climbing line, electing to borrow it for the time being. Just like Soren taught him, he secured the line and rappelled to the floor. He picked up the line and brought it with him, a weak determination driving him forward. He traced along the side of the wall, through the propped open door, and into the main room.

The sheer size of the room was dizzying. The ceiling was impossibly high. The furniture was immense. Everything made him feel so much smaller than he already felt. It took no time at all for him to spot the human – Ashlynn – sitting on the thing Soren called a so-fa.

Rey felt his limbs triple in weight as though they were filled with sand. His chest tightened. Eyes watered. He had to stay focused. This was for Soren. He wiped his eyes and nose with the back of his hand and marched timidly forward.

He approached closer and closer with each step, unsure what to say. His heart pounded in his chest. Each pulse felt like it was going to break through his ribs.

He began to fret. What if she said no? What if she got angry? What if she lashed out? Was there something, anything, that he could do? What if something happened to him and Dorian and Soren never found out?

"Hey, glad to see you're walking around okay." The sudden female voice, though gentle and soft, startled him out of his fretting trance. His breath hitched as he stared up into two large blue-grey eyes. He quickly glanced around and took a few faltering steps to the nearest place to hide, but then stopped. [For Soren] he reminded himself silently. He stood his ground and looked back up to Ashlynn.