Square One Again

Rey yawned and rubbed his eyes. For the first time in several weeks, he had a restful sleep and he felt at ease once again being with his oldest brother; however, it was short lived. Upon opening his eyes, he suddenly realized that Soren wasn't beside him – Dorian was.

Before his mind could race and send him spiraling into panic, he looked around to see Soren sitting at the edge of their makeshift bed.

"Hey," Soren said softly. "Good morning." Soren smiled warmly. He had missed how Soren's smile spread all the way through to his eyes. The moment would have gone unspoiled if Rey didn't spot Ashlynn sitting up in bed.

His eyes widened and he naturally shrunk back into the covers, bringing them under his chin and over his mouth. Soren noticed this shift and glanced back to Ashlynn. Without a word, she folded the covers off of her body, got up, and headed for the kitchen. Soren and Rey both let out an involuntary exhale, each for different reasons. Soren shook his thoughts away and looked to his youngest brother.

"Did you sleep okay?" he asked. Rey pulled the blankets from his face and played with the edges of the fabric. It was very soft between his fingers. He couldn't help but look at the door where the human left through.

"Yeah," he murmured. His eyes eventually found his brother's eyes, for the first time noticing the circles beneath them.

"You... stayed up all night?" he asked. Soren nodded.

"I told you I would," Soren replied. Their speaking, though still low, was enough to stir Dorian. His brown furrowed as he inhaled slowly and deeply. He winced as he stretched, undoubtedly tugging at the wounds beneath his bandages. Dorian's eyes flittered open before he became instantly alert and sat up.

"Soren? Where's the... is she..." Dorian looked around. Soren felt a hint of pride in his brother's vigilance and concern.

"It's okay," Soren soothed, pulling himself further onto the makeshift bed. "She's making breakfast. It'll take a while." Both of the younger brothers exchanged a nervous glance – and Soren could guess that there were a few reasons behind it. "I know she makes you nervous, but it's really okay." This didn't seem to reassure them. To his surprise, Rey spoke up first.

"We... well... dad said that you might be different; that humans had this effect on us over time." Rey's statement was reminiscent of what Dorian said the night before. It stung. Soren sighed and shook his head, jaw clenching and unclenching involuntarily. Soren shook his thoughts away. He couldn't think about that right now.

"I'm going to tell you what I told Dorian yesterday," he started. "I haven't changed – no matter what Brady said. I had to improvise to survive and made some difficult choices including staying with Ashlynn because I could not take care of myself with my leg injured like this."

Soren breathed in shakily. "Which brings me to something I know we need to talk about, and you're not going to like it. We have to stay here a little longer." Dorian and Rey glanced at one another and then back to him, their slightly dulled blue eyes conveying nervousness and uncertainty.

"S-stay? For how long?" asked Dorian. His thumb absentmindedly traced over the bandages Soren placed on his forearm. "Why can't we leave?"

Rey nodded in agreement. "Yeah, we're together now. We have you," agreed Rey. Soren nodded and smiled. He didn't want to shatter their perception of him. He was the older brother – the undefeatable hero always able to pull through at the last possible moment. Perhaps it was selfish, but Soren coveted those moments.

"Yes, we're together – and that's not going to change; however," Soren sighed heavily, and his brothers took notice. "I am still hurt. My leg is on the mend and it should be better soon. Until then, I can't borrow. I can't run. I can't carry my bag or anything I find. I can barely climb." The brothers' faces began to fill with worry. It was heart crushing.