Nine

This chapter is for Abriana612

The first week at Hogwarts passed in a blur. There was so much to learn, to discover. It took Maya four days to actually get to her classes on time without getting lost, landing her in a detention with Professor Snape, the potions teacher.

"My mum is going to kill me." Maya groaned, flopping back on her bed. Dani shot her an encouraging smile. "Don't worry. You didn't do anything wrong. Snape's a meanie." She replied to the girl.

Maya grabbed her backpack and pulled it towards her, pulling herself up into a crossed legs sitting position. She opened it up, pulling out her homework. "Guess i need to make a start on it now, considering I'll be in detention later." She started down at her history of magic textbook, the words all swirling together into the page.

She rubbed her eyes, and blinked to try and focus. "We get way too much hw." Tessa said, exiting the bathroom, tying her braids up into a bun. She'd taken her uniform off, dressed simply in a pair of camo print leggings and a long black jumper. She tucked in a stray braid in front of the mirror, then turned back to the two with a smile.

"Want to head down to the library to work on our homework?"
"I guess. I have about an hour until my detention." Maya said gloomily. The three gathered their belongings and made their way out of the dormitory.

"Hey Maya, Dani, Tessa!" Charlie waved from where he was sat by the fire as the girls crossed the common room. He jumped over the arm of the sofa and ran to join them.
"Where you lovely ladies heading?" Dani rolled her eyes at his comment.

"Library. Gotta get some of our work done, even though it sucks."
"Oh!" Charlie replied. "Give me 5 mins, and I'll join you! I'll grab my brother too, see if he can help."

                       ********

Maya slammed her history of magic textbook closed, dropping her head onto it and letting out a muffled scream. "I hate it here!" Bill patted the girl on the back.

"You'll get the hang of it, kid. What's your best subject?" She raised her head off the book and looked at him, red hair falling in front of her face.
"None of them. I'm dreadful at all of them."

"Come on, don't be so dramatic. You got us five house points in Charms yesterday!" Tessa pointed out.
"Easy for you to say, you're good at everything. And you can somehow wake up and look perfect, too."

Dani laughed, then gasped after looking at her watch. "You'd better make a run for it Maya! You don't want to be late for Snape!"

Maya skidded to a halt outside the dungeon door. Bending over, she placed her hands on her knees, desperately trying to suck in some air while trying not to puke. The door open, and she did her best to stand up and make eye contact with her professor.

"Today you will be re-labelling the jars to the storage cabinet. You have two hours. Begin." He gestured her in, pointed to the storage cabinet in the classroom then took a seat at his desk.

Maya tied her hair back into a loose ponytail as she began pulling jars and boxes out of the cupboard. She remembered her mum telling her once that it was always better to take everything out, clean, then look at what you're working with.

"Done!" Maya triumphantly placed the last jar back in the cupboard. Professor Snape glided over, and curled his lip.
"I suppose it is satisfactory. Dismissed."

Maya dragged her exhausted self out of the potions classroom, and wearily began the climb back to the Gryffindor common room. Letting out a loud yawn, she decided to duck into the nearest empty classroom and rest for a bit. She closed the door, then laid down in the corner, closing her eyes. She fell asleep almost instantly.