Eleven

"You seriously need to chill on the fainting. It'll ruin your street cred." Maya rolled her eyes, glaring up at her friend from her position on the floor. Dani shrugged, adjusting her position holding Maya's legs in the air slightly. "You feeling good now? Can I put ya down?"

Maya gave a nod and Dani slowly lowered the girl's legs to the floor. "How do you know to do that?" She asked weakly, propping herself up onto her elbows. (A/N I totally wrote eyebrows originally here and had a 10 min laughing fit.)

Dani shrugged, leaning against the wall and crossing her arms. "My parents thought it was very important for us to know basic muggle and wizard first aid."

Maya slowly sat up so she was cross legged. "I wonder what's going to happen." She said, running a hand through her messy hair.

The door opened, and Maya looked up. "Mum?" Catherine Cartwright had clearly been crying, judging by the redness and puffiness of her eyes. She crossed the room wordlessly, throwing her arms around her daughter. Her chest heaved, and she willed herself not to cry in front of her daughter.

"Mum, what's going on?" Maya asked, rather frantically now. She'd never seen the woman in this state before. Catherine pulled away, giving a small, sad smile as she smoothed down her daughter's hair.

"I wish this wasn't happening like this,  and I hope you'll still consider me your mum." Catherine looked up, blinking back tears. Maya wrapped her arms tight around her mum and squeezed tight.
"Always. You will always be my mum. What's going on?"

Catherine guided her daughter to a chair, and sat down opposite her. She looked over at Dani, who turned to her friend. "Where do you want me Maya? Stay or go? Whatever you need."
"Stay." Maya held out a hand. Dani took it and crouched next to her. She gave her a squeeze of encouragement.

"We know who your birth parents are, Maya. And why you were separated. They didn't give you away. You were stolen. Stolen by a dark wizard by the name of Rodulphus Lestrange. For years we thought he was your father, but he stole you from your real parents." Maya's brain reeled at this new information. Stolen?

"Why?" Was the only response she could form. Catherine took a deep breath.
"Professor Dumbledore believes the truth should wait until you are older, but your dad and I always swore we would be honest with you."