Eight

"Welcome to Gryffindor!" Charlie threw an arm around Maya's shoulder. She laughed, flopping onto one of the armchairs and looking around.
"Took you long enough! You're pretty well known in the school now." Charlie rolled his eyes as his brother popped up. Maya studied the oldest Weasley. With matching red hair and brown eyes, they three could pass as triplets. Although he was only eleven, Charlie was already the same height as his older brother.

"Nice to meet you, by the way. Charlie told me a lot about you, possible little sister." Bill smirked, his eyes twinkling. Maya let out an awkward giggle.

"I'm going to head up to my dorm and unpack now." She said. She headed up the stairs, and let out a deep breath when she entered the dorm. The other girls in there looked up.

"You must be Maya McFainty." One of the girls smirked, lounging back onto her bed casually. The girl sat at the end of her bed gave her a shove.
"Don't be mean, Amy." She gave Maya a smile.

The door to the bathroom opened, and Danielle McSteele exited. "Yo, who touched my toothbrush?" She demanded, putting hands on her hips. Her eyes fell on Maya and she burst into a grin, before running at the redhead and tackling her into a hug
"You're okay!!! Omg!! Welcome to Gryffindor!" Maya smiled into her shoulder.

"I'm Amy Stevens." The blonde on the bed by the door ran a hand through her hair. Her nose scrunched as she observed Maya like dirt on her shoe. "I can't believe what kind of scum they let into Gryffindor nowdays. And that people think you're a Weasley. They are one of the oldest pure blood families in the books."

Maya blinked in shock, trying to stop herself from bursting into tears. "Um I don't mean anything against you, I'm just here to learn."

"Then take the bed furthest away from me and Shut. Up." Dani put an arm around Maya, escorting her to the empty bed. The final girl stood up. She had beautiful coffee coloured skin and black hair. Her hair was neatly braided.
"I'm Tessa Johnson. So, tell me about yourselves. Got any siblings? I have a younger sister, Angelica"

"Only child." Maya responded. "I'm adopted, mum and dad can't have kids."
"That must suck. My sister and I are really close." Tessa replied. Amy groaned and rolled over to face the wall. Tessa rolled her eyes and made a face.

"Ignore miss prissy pants over there. Her parents aren't happy she's in Gryffindor." Tessa whispered. Dani grabbed Maya's hand, who winced.

"Ooh sorry!" Dani stepped back, eyes wide, looking panicked. Maya massaged her wrist and let out a reassuring smile. "I'm good, don't worry. Shall we go and explore?"