16 - Little Angel

That day, Milena with Rien constantly by her side, quietly observing with countless thoughts in his mind, stayed in the Bernards's hospital in Manhattan to go through several tests. Aric stayed behind in the hotel with Mister Samuel.

In the evening, after a whole day of examinations, Milena was finally exhausted so Rien coaxed her to sleep in the hospital's VIP suite after dinner. There weren't many words said between them the whole day but Milena stopped being defensive against him and slowly accepted his care and affection so Rien was also happy. He waited three years to finally be with her again. He could always be more patient and understanding for his dearest wife.

He wanted to hold her in his arms but every time he moved closer to her, he would sense her embarrassment and hesitation so he didn't force her. He wanted to hold her hand but she always pulled it back and it broke his heart each time but he understood that he was still a stranger to her.

Milena never meant to hurt him of course, she was remorseful every time she saw the pained expression in his eyes that he quickly hid away with a smile that never reached his eyes. She felt an inexplicable pain in her own heart because she knew how much he could have suffered and was still suffering because of her but she was scared. She was terrified of the strong emotions she was feeling for a man she couldn't remember. She wanted to depend on him but could she really do that? Despite the strong attraction that she felt for him, she also felt a feeling of distrust for him like somewhere deep inside her, although she couldn't remember him, there was a deep-seated love that she realized she might have for him but also a touch of aversion and a feeling of betrayal. She couldn't remember therefore could not understand her feelings towards him so she avoided him. 

She laid in bed and closed her eyes while he sat on a chair beside her. Tired of her thoughts and the turmoil of emotions as well as her physical exhaustion, she fell asleep under his longing gaze. He reached out his hand many times to hold her but pulled back each time, afraid that he would wake her and make her upset. Finally, he gave up and just watched her. When he was sure that she was sound asleep, the seigneur quietly left the room, leaving Sophie with Milena in the room to ensure his wife's safety, then walked to Charles Bernard's office. 

Seeing him at the door, Charles nodded for him to sit down. A somber look was on his face so Rien immediately knew that he had very serious things to discuss. Although worried about his wife, he calmly took his seat while Charles pushed some documents in front of him. 

He picked them up and read. His heart ached when he saw the report on how many scars were still left from her injuries from the accident, the fractures she recovered from and the skin grafting procedures she underwent for her burns. It described an entire year of painful treatment. It told a story of what she had been through during the accident. The burns and deep scar on her back told how he protected their little Aric and used her own body as a shield. The traces of scars on her arms told them how she struggled but failed to save his parents. 

There were still a lot of questions left. Many things were unclear and still remained a mystery about the incident and only Milena could answer them when she regained her memories.

As he went through more pages, two things stunned him and he felt inexplicable pain and anger in his heart. 

"She's drugged?" Rien asked gravely with a deep frown on his forehead. 

Charles nodded, "The drug is repressing her memories. I can tell that it has been given to her without her knowing the real effect for the past three years. She was just told that it helps her with her sleep. She has already suffered a brain injury from the accident and with this drug, it was impossible for her to remember anything from the past. I also suspect that she was hypnotized to alter her memories. That's why she lived these three years with a complete memory of her life since childhood."