14 - Yellow Fairy

Milena was stunned by what she heard. Her mind went blank and it couldn't process what the handsome man in front of her just said. She blinked her eyes once then twice then a third time. 

She could feel her heart racing as she stared at the man who was holding her snugly in his arms. She wasn't fond of being hugged by others, especially men. As a matter of fact, aside from her father, and although she was close to Gabriel, it was the first time that she had been held so tightly by a man, but she didn't feel uncomfortable at all. In fact, she felt quite at home. 

At home? With a stranger? That felt odd for her because she has always been a shy person and it normally takes time for her to warm up to people but over the past two days, she welcomed the hugs of two new people in a heartbeat-- the little boy Aric and his father. The longer she looked at him, the more she appreciated how handsome the man was. He was tall, had toned muscles, elegant posture, fair skin, thick black hair, passionate brown eyes, strong nose, pink lips, and a deep charming dimple on his left cheek. Milena could understand how she could fall in love with that man but she has no memory of him so what he just said did not make sense at all. 

For a few minutes which seemed like forever to everyone else, she gaped at Rien and didn't speak a word. Aric, Sophie and Mister Samuel, all nervously stood by and fidgeted. Only the seigneur calmly looked into his wife's eyes and leisurely caressed her soft hair. 

After Milena recovered, she chuckled and shook her head, shaking his hand off in the process. Everyone else in the room including Rien were surprised at her reaction. When she saw the shock on his face, Milena laughed even harder and took advantage of his shock to slip out of his embrace. "Okay. How did Gabe put you up to this?" She giggled. "I must say, I'm quite impressed. He really went all out this time just to prank me. Even rented an impressive room and hired such good-looking actors. This must have caused him a fortune, too bad I caught on quite fast, huh?" She winked at Rien and smiled smugly. 

Hearing another man's name spoken from his wife's lips, Rien immediately sobered up. "What nonsense are you talking about?" The seigneur was obviously angry but his natural instinct to be gentle to his wife made him sound less terrifying, however; Aric, Mister Samuel, and Sophie understood that if Milena kept talking more about Gabriel in front of Rien with that smile, the poor man should start praying for his life.

Milena wasn't scared at all and grinned at Rien. "Are you still acting? Where's the camera?" She looked around the room then turned to Rien again. "How much did he pay you? I'll pay you double to get back at him. I can't believe that stinky man would do it again."

The seigneur's seething rage could be seen through his clenched fists, red ears, tight jaw and a vein that throbbed on his forehead. His jealousy of the man who could make his wife speak so cheerfully with just the remembrance of him was enough for Rien to wish he could snap that urchin's neck right then and there but something Milena said made him curious. He asked gently, "What has the urchin… I mean… Mr. Madrid done before?" 

Milena slightly frowned at Rien's slip but still answered with a pleasant smile. "Well, over a year ago, a man approached me too. He was elegant, tall, handsome and looked rich like you." She described, not noticing how the seigneur gritted his teeth as his eye twitched but he stopped himself from going berserk over his wife admiring another man. He not-so-patiently waited for her to continue her story. 

"So, this guy comes up to me and told me that he knew me from the past before the accident, that he helped Gabe save my life, and that my memory maybe confused so I probably don't remember a lot of things. That man claimed to be my fiancé. He showed me some pictures from my childhood and teenage years. He told stories about me. He was quite convincing. The only problem was, I felt really uncomfortable around him and he seriously gave me the creeps. Anyway, I was still nice and agreed to see him another time but I didn't intend to go. Who knew Gabe would angrily come up from behind me and flick my head so hard when he heard that, then scolded me nonstop for talking to a stranger like I was a three-year old? I had a bump right here from that flick. It really hurt." Milena pouted and rubbed her head like she could still feel the bump that Gabriel made. "It turns out that he set the whole thing up to test me then he warned me about talking to men like that guy and reminded me to never believe anything strangers claim about me."