12 - Loyal Guardians

"Uuuugh…" Gabriel groaned in pain as he woke up. He immediately realized that he was uncomfortably lying on the floor but it wasn't cold. It was a carpeted floor. With his eyes still closed, he groggily tried to move then found out that movements of his arms and legs were restricted by some hard plastic ties that he felt around his wrists and ankles. He could also taste the perfume on the scarf that was used to muffle his mouth. Alarm bells sounded in his brain. He's been kidnapped! 

"Mia!" He immediately thought of her. If he's been kidnapped, what could have happened to her? He was just an irrelevant person. He was just her guardian. She must be the real prize! "Mmmmph!" He tried to call out her name as he opened his eyes and struggled to move his hands and feet within his constraints.

When he opened his eyes, he clearly saw where he was. He looked around the clean and luxurious room. What kind of kidnapper would keep him in a place like this? A different kind of fear crept in his veins. Could it be? Has the devil returned to find Mia? 

After arranging the bubble world where he controlled everything in her immediate environment and planted his spies to watch her everywhere she went, the devil left Mia in Gabriel and her parents' care. He never showed himself again, but he would often send his special assistant, a man as cold and ominous as he was to check on them occasionally. He made sure they complied to all of the devil's orders. 

"No!" Gabriel shouted in his head. "Mia!" He couldn't let that man have Mia. He has to protect her. Even if he dies doing so, he will make sure that evil man never has his way with her.

He immediately frantically struggled to free himself from his constraints. Just as he was doing so, the door opened and light footsteps walked in. A pair of dainty feet in black leather flats stopped in front of him. Gabriel froze then slowly looked up to find a woman's face with gentle features which was devoid of any expressions. He immediately recognized her as the coy waitress who "accidentally" splashed water all over him and then "nicely" volunteered to help him to his room. He trusted her and was almost touched by her sweet gesture until out of nowhere, she attacked him. Over the past three years, he trained his martial arts skills rigorously and has achieved black belt status in judo, taekwondo and karate but he was still shocked by her flawless skills that subdued him within a minute. 

That deceptive beauty and impressive skill set was just the exact combination that a henchwoman of the devil would have. With that thought, Gabriel became more desperate to break free and continued to kick and squirm on the floor. 

Sophie shook her head and clicked her tongue then squatted down and leaned her face closer to Gabriel's. He stopped moving and glared at her angrily. "There's no need for that." Her lips raised in a smile but her eyes remained icy. "You will know soon enough why you're here. My master will see you shortly."

Master? He remembered the evil man was also called master. He couldn't be wrong, the devil has Mia. They would kill him and who knows what they would do to her. The devil had already manipulated her entire life, including her mind like a living doll. What more could that vile man want? Gabriel dreaded what could happen. That thought made him more furious and desperate as he struggled harder to break free. 

He fought desperately to break away but he couldn't. His wrists started to hurt and he was sure they were wounded at that point, but he didn't care. Even if he lost his hands, he would still fight to protect Mia. 

Sophie chuckled and watched him in amusement. "Are you trying to cut your hands off?" She smirked and for the first time, she showed a spark of emotion in her eyes other than murderous intent. Gabriel stopped struggling and looked at her with raging eyes. 

"How can you protect the Madam if that happens?" Sophie shook her head then met his stare. 

"Madam?" He thought about what the woman meant. "Did she mean Mia? Why did she call her Madam?"