Chapter Thirteen

The Flower

I've begun to look forward to Theron's visits. Every other night it's a different, more elaborate tactic of entry into my room. Tonight, he taps on the balcony door, only enough for me to hear. In the shadows, I see his smile.

Carefully, the door opens, and he slips in. He makes a big show of tiptoeing toward the unassuming maid and I have to contain my laughter. The woman takes a sip of her tea, which, as usual, is laced with sleeping herbs. Theron, now right behind her, catches her head and places it gently against the cushion as she falls unconscious.

I hop out of bed, quiet enough not to wake the sentries guarding outside. I sit at my usual chair across from his, smiling. Over the past few weeks, this time has become the only I can somewhat relax. Theron remains standing and takes my hand, lifting me from the seat.

"We're doing something special tonight." He winks and tosses me an article of black clothing. "Put that on. Purple would be too easy to see."

I slip the black cloak over my thin purple nightgown and step into my training boots. "Where are we going?"

He ignores the question, sidestepping the maid to silently open the balcony doors. "Quickly, now," he says, waving me to follow his every move. I inhale cool night air and sigh, feeling a sudden weight lift from my shoulders. Theron leans close, whispering for me to follow him and make no noise.

We climb over the balcony railing, hanging onto the rope Theron used to climb up the balcony. I freeze suddenly, halfway down. My stomach sinks, my content smile fades.

"Come on, Luna," he whispers, already on the ground. "We don't have time."

I climb down, my eyes still hesitantly fixed to the side. "Theron," I whisper intently when I reach the ground. "Theron, look." I point to the figure approaching us, the sentry approaching us.

It's too late. He's already recognized me; it won't be long before he recognizes Theron too. The sentry's sword is drawn, but I know it's just for intimidation. He's alone, at least. Although I don't know if that even gives us an advantage. It's too late.

"Theron, run," I say. "Run, he hasn't seen you."
Again, it's as if he doesn't hear me. Theron wraps his hand around my waist, pushing me behind him. His breathing's calm, controlled. He doesn't seem nervous or scared, but he does seem irritated.

"What is going on here?" the sentry demands. "The girl cannot—"

Theron releases my waist, pushing me farther behind him. He takes a step forward and rests a calm hand against the sentry's temple. "You did not see us. We were not here. If anyone asks, it was an animal you saw and you were checking it out, nothing more." His voice is authoritative, yet gentle. Soothing and powerful.

The sentry's eyes clear, his sword returning to his waist calmly. The man nods his head again and again, his eyes unseeing. "An animal," he repeats, his voice no longer his.

"Yes," Theron replies. "Now return to your post. You never saw us."

The sentry nods again and turns, walking away casually, his steps slow and measured, as if this was nothing but a small inconvenience.

I blink over and over, looking straight at Theron, but seeing someone different. "You just... what did you..."

He takes my hand, pulling me across the palace garden. "Shh, Luna. I'll explain everything if you'll only—"

"Theron," I yell, my voice strained in my confusion. "You just... you just made that sentry do something. You... you just manipulated his mind!"

Theron pulls me to him, throwing a hand to my mouth, jerking me around to duck behind a statue in the bushes. The back of my head slams against his chest as he pulls me closer to his body, holding my mouth tighter with each one of my screams. He shushes me, his movements suddenly stiff, nervous.