ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴏ

CHAPTER TWO ᴀᴛᴛᴀᴄᴋs

CHAPTER TWO
ᴀᴛᴛᴀᴄᴋs

The whole school buzzed with a sense of freedom now, the cafeteria louder than it had been only weeks ago, the blank walls pasted with posters for yearbooks, announcements, deadlines, and particularly large, rose-wreathed ones for the prom. We were so close to being free that the air buzzed with the excitement of it. The time for graduation was swiftly closing in, so quickly that it was hard to avoid.

I'd done this numerous times before, all of which I'd enjoyed, but never as much as this year's. I didn't need to guess that it had something to do with Alice and her family.

Each day, we sat at the same table with the same people. The unending sameness held a kind of comfort in the fact that it was easy, simple, much so in comparison to the complex year we'd all had.

"Have you sent your announcements yet?" Angela asked us. Beside her, Ben was flipping through a pile of ratty, old comics he'd managed to find in the media rooms.

Bella shook her head. "No. There's no point, really. Renée knows when I'm graduating. Who else is there?"

"How about you two?"

I smiled, but Alice was beaming. "All done."

"We did ours together," Alice said, nudging warmly to my side. "It took us a while and we were distracted but we got it done."

By getting it done, Alice meant that we pretended to do addressed cards while really she flicked through wedding magazines, having seen Bella and Edward's in a vision. And by distractions, she meant I was bored and she was lovely, her lips looking even more kissable than they normally did.

"Lucky," Angela groaned, slumping to lean one cheek on her hand, the other hand running through the ends of her pinned hair. "My mother has a thousand cousins and she expects me to hand-address one to everybody. I'm dreading it."

"I'll help you. If you don't mind my awful handwriting," Bella offered, making Angela brighten considerably.

"That's so nice of you. I'll come over anytime you want."

"Actually, I'd rather go to your house if that's okay. I'm sick of mine. Charlie un-grounded me last night."

"Really?" I asked, and Bella nodded. I'd been there only the night before, and Charlie had been his usual self. holding his grudge tightly.

"I thought you said you were in for life," Angela nodded.

"I'm more surprised than you are."

"Well, that's great, Bella! We'll have to go out to celebrate."

"You have no idea how good that sounds," she said, slinking further into Edward's side.

"What should we do?"