ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ɴɪɴᴇ

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ɴɪɴᴇᴡᴏʟғ

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ɴɪɴᴇ
ᴡᴏʟғ

"How are you feeling?"

I left no room for Bella to start with her own questions as I hopped into her truck, waving to Charlie before she pulled out of the drive, heading along the coast route.

"Better. I felt like I was dying," she said, puffing out her cheeks.

She'd been ill for the best part of four days. The last time saw her, she was hanging onto the side of the toilet bowl, hair plastered to her slim cheeks with sweat. Now, the rosy glow of her cheeks was back.

"You'd know if you were," I said, trying to keep things light. "Edward would be kicking himself at the missed opportunity."

Bella didn't appreciate my humour.

"Not funny," she said, glaring slightly. But there was a slight tilt to her lips.

I shrugged, still smiling. "Sorry," I said, though I wasn't apologetic at all. "You've got to laugh. It's better than crying."

Bella didn't share the sentiment. In silence, she continued down the road until it narrowed, breaking out from the cover of the thick trees into the daylight of the cliffside road. Rays of sun drifted through the windows for the first time in what felt like years, and as I sat, staring at my prickling skin, I felt myself missing Alice and her sparkle.

Across the road, something else took my attention. A group of boys were lingering around the brink, toes edging dangerously at the edge, eyes scanning the water below. Then one boy jumped, his large, muscular arms pushing him through the air like an eagle, crashing to the waves below.

"It's the boys from La Push," Bella said, noticing my line of gaze.

She was staring after them too, watching as another tanned-skinned boy jumped elegantly from the side of the cliff, disappearing behind the last of the rock that we could see. She had a habit of not looking at the road in front of the truck for more than a few seconds. I hated it- her recklessness that would leave me worrying about her long after I'd left her side. Edward was no longer here to keep her temerity in check.

"I almost had a heart attack the first time I saw them jumping," she laughed, tilting her head slightly so she could see the tips of white, splashing up from above the water's surface. She turned back to the front, shoulders shrugging again. "So, the cinema wasn't that bad."

"Not exactly my type of film though."

She sent me a pointed look. "I was aiming more for a comment about Jake."

I knew exactly what she wanted me to say. She wanted me to drone on about how wonderful Jacob was and how I was glad she had him as a friend. Bella wanted my approval in a way. I had a feeling that my own kind words about Jacob would be a way of thinking of Edward's approval. A vampire like a vampire, you could say.

But I couldn't bring myself to say it, not with everything I knew about the wolves that were running riots around Forks. And I supposed Charlie had already sung his praises enough.

"But I'll make sure to let you pick next time," Bella said, trailing off, still expecting an answer to her unsaid question.

"He's... cool," I decided. "Definitely in love with you."

She looked away, face flushing dark red as it always did.

"Don't you think there's something... off about them?" I added.

"Jacob did say he thinks something weird is happening," she said, turning to me with furrowed brows.

"Now he won't return my calls," she mumbled. "But he's ill. I'll see him once he's better. You can come if you'd like. I'd like you to. You can meet his friends."

I shook my head, glancing back out of the scuffed window as the last of the boys took their dive from the cliff.

"I think it's best I don't go down there," I said.

Bella didn't say anything, sensing my discomfort. She was good at that- feeling when I did and didn't want to talk about something. She seemed to hold her breath for a moment, rolling her lips nervously over each other, until she finally decided to push herself to speak.

"Do you ever wish you hadn't come to Forks?" She asked.

"The truth?"

She nodded. "Yeah. The truth."

"There have been many times I wish I hadn't come. It would have easier, I could have got on with my own problems," I said, watching as her face remained dully the same, revealing no emotions as a result of my words. "It was mainly when they left- I didn't realise how hard it was being the only vampire within miles. But I thought about what it would have been like if I'd never came when they first found out about me. I thought they would hate me for keeping it a secret. But they were so welcoming. Especially Alice."

"But, if I didn't come to Forks, I never would have met any of you. I'm grateful for that. I'm glad I came."

The wolf stood perfectly still as if he had sensed me from miles away.

I knew he probably had.

The beautiful brown of his coat blended in with the tall trunks of the trees he lurked behind, eyes dark and wide, trying to scope me out without coming any closer. I was far enough away to feel safe, my legs already itching to run away to anywhere else. The wolf was different from the first time I'd seen one. His eyes were younger, somehow appearing more naive and curious- like a young child's, I thought. He was more familiar, too. Everything about him felt as if I knew him. The scent, the gaze.

One massive paw stepped forward, treading lightly. I made a show of stumbling backwards as the wolf's lips drew up, showing off his sharp, pointed teeth.

My mind took me back to Jacob, to Bella's worry and my own dark feeling that had emerged after he'd fallen ill. Something strange was happening, many had noted upon the fact. And as I stared at that wolf from so far away, I knew exactly who he was. And I knew that it had clicked with him too.

I'm so unbelievably excited for these next few chapters!