ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ sᴇᴠᴇɴ

CHAPTER SEVENʟᴀsᴛ sɴᴏᴡғᴀʟʟ

CHAPTER SEVEN
ʟᴀsᴛ sɴᴏᴡғᴀʟʟ

There's something about snow that's melancholy. Perhaps not the iciness itself, the vast blanket of white across a landscape, but the season it sits hand in hand with. Winter, the season for death, when the earth is barren and cold and few can live on it.

The frost crunched under my boots, clinging to the last of the fallen leaves that lay like coffins on the stiff ground. The trees somehow still stood tall, unshaken by the icicles that dropped from their twisted branches up in front. Every so often, as I walked along the edge of the woods, my hands would trail across them, lack of heat holding no effect. I almost imagined the single tear of melted water freezing under my swaying touch.

I walked to school that morning, setting off early to allow myself to maintain a slow pace as I trailed across the forest. Everything was so quiet at that time of the day, cars still absent from the winding roads and people only just raising from their beds, stumbling with groggy eyes to the kitchen. Something that could be called perfect.

It was early when I arrived to school, my feet subconsciously quickening to an unnatural speed as I drew closer. I found I was eager to see them, to check if the Cullens emerged from their usual expensive and clean car, as effortless as a superhuman. I imagined I was as eager as Bella.

I didn't find her again until lunch. She was the first to our table, already sat in a position so she could stare at their table without it being suspicious. As I sat by her side, it was the first thing I noticed too. Edward was in school, smiling to his family as if nothing had happened. His eyes were lighter, he'd fed.

I could hear her heart raise, the blood pumping quickly through her veins as he turned to look at her.

"You alright?" I asked.

"What?" Her head turned to look at me. "Oh yeah. Just thinking."

"He showed."

"Yeah. Charlie- my dad- told me about them last night," she said, prying her eyes away from their table. "Said they're off a lot. For hiking and things like that. Carlisle, he's a doctor. Everyone likes him apparently."

My head snapped toward her.

"A doctor!" I exclaimed, as if I'd misheard her, but I knew there was no chance of that.

"Yeah. At the hospital."

The thought of it would have made me sick once upon a time. A vampire... a doctor. Surreal, was all I could think.

"It's weird. No one else seems to find them..." Bella trailed off.

"Strange?"