ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ sɪx

CHAPTER SIXʀᴏʟʟɪɴɢ ɪɴ ᴏɴ ᴀ ʙᴜʀɴɪɴɢ ᴛɪʀᴇ

CHAPTER SIX
ʀᴏʟʟɪɴɢ ɪɴ ᴏɴ ᴀ ʙᴜʀɴɪɴɢ ᴛɪʀᴇ

September brought early snowfall, reminiscent of the first few months I'd spent in Forks. A thick layer of it was revealed when the cool sun rose from its bed behind the blanketed trees and grey beaches. As darkness resided into little more than a shadowy murk of charcoal clouds, the world around us arose, awakening from a sleep deep enough to feel like Winter.

We too felt as if we were being woken for something, despite the fact that slumber could not take over our minds. The Cullens' house was deadly quiet. It was as if we were too afraid to speak. The sensation was indescribable. The knowledge that this situation was unheard of, was hard to hold.

Today was the day that Bella would arrive. None of us- not even Alice- knew what to expect. A human carrying the child of a vampire. Even just thinking of those words strung together could make one uncomfortable. It was likely the fact that even Carlisle couldn't put an explanation to what was happening, that we were all so on edge.

"Why do I feel like something bad is going to happen?" I asked, tucking myself further into Alice's side.

She'd been reading since midnight and hadn't flipped the page since two in the morning. Her golden eyes had been stuck in a trance, unbroken until I'd voiced my concerns. It wasn't a vision that captured her, just her long and winding thoughts.

"Everything will be fine, once Bella is home," she said, trailing a hand across my cheek, the feeling of the large, costume ring soothing against my skin. "Carlisle will take care of her and Edward won't let anything happen."

I shook my head and glanced at the window. Snow merged into icicles along the edges of the glass panes, decorating them like microscopic patterns of florals. Vast snow clouds were thicker, condensed into forming bundles of dark grey, from which rain fell like crystals, pattering against the rooftop with a song that was calming but equally ominous. Everything was dull and gloomy. The pristine white that'd glimmered that morning was melting into sludge and streams.

"Snow in September is a bad omen."

Alice smiled, her knuckles reaching to circle the tip of my nose. "Maybe in England, it is. But not in Forks."

"I suppose," I said with a smile.

We met Rosalie at the top of the stairs. Her face was guarded with a stern look, but I could imagine all that her thoughts probably contained. Bella's request was not lost on me. I just didn't wish to think about it in any sense other than to hope that the choice never truly had to be made.

The others waited in the living room, spread across the numerous seats, the television now turned onto a news channel. The patter of the rain was quieter downstairs and the glare of the remaining snow a little brighter, drawing my attention until Alice pulled me away. The shake of her head told me not to worry, but once the nervous thoughts entered my head, it was unlikely that I would be able to remove them.